New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering after moving your stand or shooting a deer how long do you guys let your spot settle for? i moved my stand yesterday afternoon and most of the time i let it settle for acouple days let the deer come in and eat my corn acouple times before i get in, but im itching to get out there.. i might sit like 4pm til dusk tonight

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
After shooting a deer, I let the spot settle down depending on how much I disturbed it. If I had a long track, and left a lot of scent in the area, I try to let it sit for several days, or wait for a good rain to take the scent away. As a aide note, I killed bucks on consecutive days from the same stand during 6-day. There was blood on the ground from buck #1 within 15 yards of where I killed buck #2.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i never really worry about deer blood ive seen deer sniff gut piles i just worry cause i was sweating everywhere putting up my stand [rofl].. but we had a nice thunderstorm lastnight so maybe ill be alright

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I'm not clear on something.

If it's just a normal stand without any bait, you should be able to hunt it the second the wind is right.

Since it's baited though, this is important.

Did you only move the stand and the bait is already established?

If yes, hunt it when the conditions are right.

But if you moved a stand and bait. I'm thinking it could take at least a few days for them to find it and be comfortable there.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Several days is good or after the rain it washs away all scents and evidence.

Some trees are buck stops and will come back. If you have a prepaired hub site they will keep coming back just takes a little time some times.

Thats why I call my number #1 spot my bone yard because thats what it is.

Deer will even go over to the blood and lick it and smell it.

Its when you travel through the bush that disturbs everything so on your recovery is where you take extra percautions as well. Take the animal out as discreatly as you can being carefull not to disturb as little as you can.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just moved my whole location, bait and everything.. i need to hunt this spot on a NW wind which it is most of the time. well it is today

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
just wondering after moving your stand or shooting a deer how long do you guys let your spot settle for?
I use a climber so i move my stand every time i hunt.As soon as i finish sweating i start hunting[hihi]The deer dont mind.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Some guys I hunt with won't hunt the same stand 2 days in a row and after getting busted or harvesting a deer will "rest" that stand for a week. However, I have hunted the same stand of mine 2-3 days in a row and shot more than 1 deer per day on each of those days. It really depends on the herd and how skittish they are.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I go out right away and have had a lot of success over the years.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
ive had my BEST luck hunting a spot an hr after changing location... put the stand, bait, go let the sweat dry up, then go hunt it...
always seems like a crisp new spot produces a good amount of deer...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts