New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused about some of the NJ gun laws.
I used to live in NJ for a short time (new job) I moved to VA. While living in VA, as a VA resident I purchased a AR15 rifle, which has pistol grip, telescoping bud stock and muzzle flush. If I understand correctly, those are features, that put together are illegal in NJ.
I know for fact I couldn't purchase that rifle while I was a NJ resident.
Now that I purchased it as a VA resident and legally own it, what happens to it when I move back to NJ and change my Driver's License back to NJ.
Do I have to surrender my rifle, make adjustments to make it NJ compliant or simply keep it as is, since I purchased it out of state?

Please advise, as I am moving back shortly.

Thank You

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Take it to a reputable gun smith and have them pin the stock or switch it out for a non telescoping stock and then have them switch out the flash hider for a muzzle break (compensator) and then that needs to be pinned and welded and get rid of your 30 round magazines. Only aloud to have 15 round mags

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I inherited two AR-15's from my father who lived in Virginia and they are still there because, of the pistol grip, flash suppessor and the bayonet lug. I'm probably going to sell them there and buy a NJ compliant one here. This state sucks!

·
Registered
7,384 Posts

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Not totally correct, he can send it to a Nj FFL to get compliance work before he moves so it'll be ready when he gets here.
Send it to Cheyenne gunsmiths in Manville NJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What if I leave the gun with my brother in VA and only shoot it when I visit him in VA.
Can I still legally own the gun, as a NJ resident, but keep the gun out of state?

If I understand correctly, I don't have to report my rifle, which means I can legally own, but keep it in VA.
Is that correct?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
What if I leave the gun with my brother in VA and only shoot it when I visit him in VA.
Can I still legally own the gun, as a NJ resident, but keep the gun out of state?

If I understand correctly, I don't have to report my rifle, which means I can legally own, but keep it in VA.
Is that correct?
Yes.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Is that correct?
Dare I say the correct answer to your question is to keep your gun and yourself out of N.J........

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am a little confused about some of the NJ gun laws.
I used to live in NJ for a short time (new job) I moved to VA. While living in VA, as a VA resident I purchased a AR15 rifle, which has pistol grip, telescoping bud stock and muzzle flush. If I understand correctly, those are features, that put together are illegal in NJ.
I know for fact I couldn't purchase that rifle while I was a NJ resident.
Now that I purchased it as a VA resident and legally own it, what happens to it when I move back to NJ and change my Driver's License back to NJ.
Do I have to surrender my rifle, make adjustments to make it NJ compliant or simply keep it as is, since I purchased it out of state?

Please advise, as I am moving back shortly.

Thank You
Just take it to a gunsmith and have it made NJ compliant thats all you don't have to do anything else. Don't forgot to leave you 30 rd mags behind though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.