·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a movie camera for hunt films, any one see the link? $2495

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I us both a Canon gl-2 and xl-2. They are great cameras, very expensive for the hobbist. I average about 50 hours of film to get 1 hour if I'm lucky.

Ryan

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I average about 50 hours of film to get 1 hour if I'm lucky.
Man..what's that tell ya? "Poor" Will Primos, Bill Jordan, and the other guys who make hunting videos must have to spend ALL YEAR out hunting to test equipment and make a decent 2 hour tape. And all that wasted video and production time is tax deductible as a business expense.

I feel SO SORRY for them. :p

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I have a couple of GL-2's and will be getting an XL2 soon. They are great camera's, a little expensive for a casual user, but not nearly what you would spend on a professional camera. Once you get into video taping hunts, you will be hooked. Next, you have to get the editing software, then upgrade your PC to handle the software, then get a firewire connection if you don't have one, then get a few external hardrives in the 200 Gig range to handle the amount of video you have, then you find you don't have enough camera accessories, so you get a few more batteries (the big, 7 hour ones of course) and shoe lights, shotgun mic's, shoulder pods, tri pods, tree pods...

See what happens. :D

My efficency is a little better than Wildworks though. I've made a few DVD's about an hour long, and need about 6 to 8 hours of tape to get an hour long production. I miss some things out there, but don't usually turn the camera on until I see something I'm going to use. The editing is the time consuming part. I have well over 100 hours of editing in just a 1 hour production. One DVD took almost 200 hours, but that included setting up a 4 minute intro of random clips set to music. Once the intro was set, I just insert different clips to change it a little, so it's not as time consuming.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
$20,000 goes quick! I still need more gear and know it will never end. I edit for quite a few hours my self. One as to sell alot of videos to break even. NJBOW where are you located. I'd like to meet up sometime. Maybe check out your video footage.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I've been seeing a Panasonic with a 3CCD chip for $899, that's half of what the Canon's and Sony's go for. Unless your making money from your shots, it's a no win thing.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
houndawgg, there is more to the camera than a 3ccd chip. Yes, you need the 3ccd's, but optical stablization is important, as is lens quality, and believe it or not, size. You want a camera that is a little bigger than those consumer models. You need the weight to hold steady when zoomed. Lot more to it than 3ccd's.

Ryan, I'm about 30 minutes from you, on the Salem Gloucester County line...not far from Pole Tavern. Me and my two brothers have been doing the video thing since 1991. Yeah, the money adds up quickly. I've been getting offers to do weddings and stuff recently, and probably will start doing that to make some money back...we don't sell our hunting stuff, just make home videos.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Other than for my own enjoyment, Campbell outfitters in Ill. are having an amatuer contest for best hunting films w/ cash prizes, hunting trips etc. they also have a kit fore sale on the website.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Other than for my own enjoyment, Campbell outfitters in Ill. are having an amatuer contest for best hunting films w/ cash prizes, hunting trips etc. they also have a kit fore sale on the website
LOL! The contest is probably a marketing gig to sell the kit. What camera are they offering?

Bigbore, what's your e-mail?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yea, I just got a newsletter from NASOW outdoor writing org. about these free contests and how they use the good photos for marketing premiums. I think it's wrong to do these photo contests for a specific promotion. On another post they bashed a guy because his club charges XX amount of dollars for an appl. fee. Yet these same guys will buy into these contests.

Ryan

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
$2400.00 isn't too bad for a GL 2 with no accessories, at least a few years ago. Might have come down some now that the newer ones are out.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats w/ the whole package, boom mike to disc's plus editing software and cables.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts