New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized my Harley is 4 years old and due for inspection. Where do I take it for inspection. And will it pass with LOUD pipes?

·
Registered
746 Posts
go to the end of the inspection line and make sure you have a DOT approved helmet and your horn works....its easy but a waste of time I went 7 years without doing it before a buddy wanted me to take him for his test

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
John right here in Lodi is fine, loud pipes on bikes don't matter as long as you have pipes IE an exhaust system on it :D

I need to get my bike to inspection as well we can kill to birds with one stone if your around Friday.

Bike is in the shop right now, I'll be picking it up tonight if I'm back in time if not then tomorrow.
I just had a set drag pipes and a jet kit installed also just got the mirrors and clutch handle parts in and will install them tomorrow.

Give me a buzz buddy maybe after inspection we can take a nice ride :D

To pass nj inspection, you must have:

* License plates with current decal and current registration
* Proof of insurance
* Valid motorcycle driver license
* Steering, suspension, and wheel alignment
* Handlebar grips that are not higher than your shoulders when you are seated on the motorcycle in normal driving position
* Horn
* Red rear light and reflector
* Stop light
* Head light
* Rear view mirror
* Exhaust system
* Tires
* Seat, hand holds, and foot rests
* Adequate brakes (all motorcycles made after 1974 require brakes on front and rear wheels.)

·
Registered
677 Posts
any dmv inspection station. i know in wayne you don't wait on line, pull right up to the front by the curb next to the office entrance and someone will come over. pipes shouldn't be a problem, sometimes they don't even make you start your bike. they pretty much check your electrics and thats about it. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A DOT HELMET. THEY WILL FAIL YOU. 90% don't even get their bikes inspected.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
90% don't even get their bikes inspected.
I did a motorcycle run last year and we came into a small town in PA and the cops looked at every motorcycle to see if they had a valid reg and inspection. Ill get it inspected just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
I went to the DMV in Randolph, loud pipes werent a problem. took me 5 mins. Just make sure your helmet is DOT and has some reflective tape on it.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I just checked I have been over due since March John you just need some reflectice tape on your helmet. The pipes are fine make sure blinkers and horn work.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
Paul, Ill call you later
Sounds Good [up]
I'll be up in Dingmans Ferry PA. area all day so I may not have service at times But I will get back to you John.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ill get it inspected just to be on the safe side.
[up] i do the same

as for the reflective tape. i had someone make me go inside in the vending machine and buy it for $2, the other time they didn't even say anything. its all on who you get and if they got laid the night before.[drinking]

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
As long as you have the DOT helmet with reflective tape and certified eyewear you will be fine.

I wear a novelty helmet without the reflective stickers so I just take mine back to the HD dealer and they inspect the bike... not my riding gear.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Just about any shop that works on bikes is authorized to inspect it. I got mine inspected at my local shop for $26.00. No helmet check, and no need to schedule around DMV hours.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
all they really look for is that all lights are working, horn works, and when i had my bike they used to make me ride it like 5 feet just to see that the brakes worked,,,,, and like its been said helmet must say DOT on it

no need to be in line,,, go right to front for bikes

·
Registered
747 Posts
all they really look for is that all lights are working, horn works, and when i had my bike they used to make me ride it like 5 feet just to see that the brakes worked,,,,, and like its been said helmet must say DOT on it
Same with me the last time I had a bike inspected ..... they wanted to see me lock up the rear wheel. (But, its the front brake that is most important [smirk] )

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
When you say loud pipes. Do you have drag pipes? They will fail you for that. Drag pipes are illegal in NJ. My mom and dad both have harleys and have had inspection and ticket issues with drag pipes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.