New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I hunted and didn't see a thing. I figured it was too hot so I got out of the stand early to walk around this property I hunt. As I'm walking back to my car I have an arrow knocked but didn't see a thing.

As I am nearing my SUV I saw a huge bodied deer's head burried in planted beans. So I proceeded to sneak up closer and got within 20 yards with the wind in my face. This deer had a big belly and swayed back. (This is my second year hunting) I knock an arrow and put my pin on "her" shoulder. "She" looks up and all I see is a massive and wide 8 point rack and a roman nose. It was a monster buck. I took my finger off the trigger and let the buck walk because I haven't shot my doe yet [wallmad]. I could have smoked this buck which stood only 20 yards away.

A buddy of mine told me that there are probably a lot of guys that would have shot that deer but I couldn't have done it like that.

Any of you guys ever have this happen to you? I know I made the right choice and legal choice but it hurt to watch this buck run off.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thats happened to me more times than I can count since this EAB BS started. Yet another reason I now wait until EAB is over before I head out. Whats even worse is when you never see that buck again. EAB my be good for some places, but my area doesn't need it, as enough does get killed by cars and trucks already.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
good call. you're the one who has to live with the decisions you make in life. a lot of guys may have smoked that buck. a lot of guys are scumbags is all aspects of their lives.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
there are probably a lot of guys that would have shot that deer
There are a ton of guys in this state that would have shot that deer. They'd just butcher it themselves and stick the caped head in the freezer till Oct 4, then check it in that morning. The lack of physical check in requirements make it even more likely to happen. Then there's a lot of guys that would never check it in at all....especially if it wasn't going on the wall. I passed a good buck on Sunday afternoon of the weekend opener since I didn't have my doe down.....Lets face it, the average guy hunting in this state will come into a face to face shot opportunity with a wall hanger maybe once or twice a season....That shot is very tempting to that type of guy....Its all about integrity

1 - 5 of 5 Posts