New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
My most memorable hunt was this season on 1/14/12 I took to the woods with my father (redneckdad). He had his shotgun and me with my recurve. We were hunting to different sections in Assunpink probably 500yards apart. I picked a huge dead fall as my vantage point and with in the first 15 minutes of our evening hunt i had two does come in and i made a good shot at 8yards my deer fell with in 35yrds. When i got to my deer the other doe was still there 10 yards away so i yelled at it lol and it ran right towards my dad and he dropped it at 30 yards. So i gave him a call and asked if he had shot he said yep how bout you i said i already have mine gutted and dragging to truck it was the first time we have doubled up and my first deer with the recurve

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
same here all my hunts with my son those are the best memories cant be touched the look on his face and the sound of his voice when he was 12 and had just shot his first doe with a bow i wouldnt trade that for all of my hunts on my own combined

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
best memory was quite a few yrs back hunting with my dad and uncles. we were doing a drive and me and my uncle were together and my dad was lined up about 150 yards down the tree line.... deer started coming out from everywhere and i shoot 1.... all deer scattered and then all of a sudden 1 lone doe came from across the field and headed right for my dad....me and my uncle watched as this 1 deer leprt and bound across the feild and headed right for my dad....sure enough BABOOM deer down.... my dad was happy as anything and i went right over picked the deer up over my shoulder and brought him back.... great times with family!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Probably two. One was in Pineland of NJ in Lacey back in 1989 with my Dad (since passed on). It was windy and about 20 degrees...negatives with the windchill. We stuck it out and got nothing, but still a fun time. Second memorable was hunting on December morning in 2001 or 2002 and the sleet changed to snow and we received about 10 inches of snow. I shot my first decent buck that morning. He came into range thru brush with snow on his head and down his back. I could bring you to the exact tree I shot from and exact spot he dropped! Good times!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
My favorite was a bow hunt by Freehold. I was peeing out of the stand and a fox came running in. I guess he heard the leaves rustling and had to check it out. I pinned him to the ground at 15yds. About 15 minutes later a 19" wide 9 pt. came walking right in, and I shot him broadside about 5' from the fox.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Way to many that stand out right away. My first deer I hunted a trail on thebway out to some apple trees in my uncles neighbors yard. Just a doe my first at 10 with the compound.

Next would be my first buck right around when trailcams started to be used hunting the edge of a stream. Had only seen a few bucks while hunting no shots. Im in an extremely old ladderstand that has no foot platform just a platform to sit on and your feet went on the top rung. I was I believe 12 at the time I look to my right as the suns coming up directly infront of me. From the glare of the sun I see somthing move its a nice neck swollen 5 pter looking for does. Shot him sitting down with a hoyt lazortech and 100 grain thunderheads.

Another same stand really foggy and misting. Im like f this im wet theres no deer blah blah. Im going to do some doe bleats pull the call out do the first one straight out infront of me and as im about to do the second i look to my left and theres a monster doe standing looking at me. I drop the call in shock and it hits every rung on the ladder lol.

Another was last day of a 6 day hunting out a popup blind hes old is not able to hunt anymore do to illness but was quite the hunter and trapper back in the day his mother was full blooded american indian and it seemed he knew everything. At this point though I think he was going just for me. Around 11 am I look out the blind and see a deer 20 yards away deer sees the blind runs back 50 yards. I put the big heavy h and r up and heartshot her. My grandpa was so proud which made for a memorable hunt.

All the hunts with my uncle that we hunted out of a treestand he had buil on private property was quite the honey hole.

Most recent last year shot a nice 3 year old 9 pt with my muzzleloader. It was the first season I could drive and I put in a lot of scouting and effort. Does came in at sunset with a 4 pter decide even though bucks havnt been showing up ill pass 10 minutes later I look upand see a big body walkin towards me. Only have one maintained shooting lane. Does start to act funny I slide the Omega over put the crosshairs on him and watch him die within 35 yards

Last two all my hunts are memorable

Sitting in same stand during the rut with my crossbow must use because of shoulder surgery. I had walked a drag rag from my trck and kind of made a T pattern drag. 330 i see two does they come in but are acting real strange around the golden estrus. They eventually wander off. About 30 mins later look to where I dragged the scent in here comes a 4 pter he mills around a while checks out my mockscrape. Im watching him and all of the sudden i turn and theres a giant buck biggest deer Ive seen hunting body size anyway 30 yards he checks out the mock scrape and I was so nervous he was going to see me because he was facing me. I put the crossbow up very carefully damn clumsy things find the first opening and as soon as he hits it i let him have it. Watch em drop the grim reaper made a mess. Deer is estimated 5 1-2

Last but not least shooting a bear while hunting in a blowdown with my best friend next to me was just awesome. All the prep work and it was kind of last minute I was like hmm we should try to get a bear started the prep work around thanksgiving and shot a great bear.

Nice post thanks for listening

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
I was on a 3 day pass and leaving for Vietnam on Wed. I had to be at Ft Riley Kansas at 5pm on Monday. Of course Monday was opener of 6 day firearm. I decided to do a quick hunt in the morning off of Philhower Rd. in Califon and then fly out. At 7:05am a nice 8pter comes strollin past. It was my first buck.

Ya never fergit yer first [up]

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Don't know which one was the most memerable But I do remember every hunt my Dad took me on and also the one he didn't because of a bad report card. That never happened again during any hunting season. The first hunt was 1970, memory isn't that far gone.[patcheye]

·
Registered
487 Posts
dec 7 1974, got my first buck, a little 3 point, bass river st forest in the pines, my father whould let me take 2 days off from school to deer hunt, he was more happy then i was ( R.I.P. POP )

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Youth Day 2008

My daughter took her first deer and my son took his first antlered buck.

By far my most memorable day in the woods.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Taking a black bear back in december. no competition. thanks to bowhunternjx16 for letting me share the experience with him[up] Ill never forget it for the rest of my life

1 - 18 of 18 Posts