New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have one what kind of slugs did you find to shoot the best?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I have a Mossy 500 w/Cantilever Scope (24" rifled barrel). I use 3" Federal Sabots. They shoot better than the 2-1/2" ones.

David

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
I have a 20gauge and 12gauge mossy 500
w/cantilever 24inch rifle barrel.they both shoot lightfeilds sabot slugs 2 3/4 the best.tried the 3" but held better patterns with the 2 3/4.Bowhuntercop has same gun as I do and also loves the lightfeilds 2 3/4 the best.

B

·
0 Posts
allow me to add that my REMINGTON 11-87 SPS also loves them LIGHTFIELDS 2-3/4". If I ever hunt out in IOWA or Illinois I will switch to a lighter more flatter slug, of course I would have to test the different brands

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have 20ga rifled and scoped and found lightfields shoot the best

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
While I've never shot the Lightfields, it's funny how some guns operate. Like I've said, out of my 12ga 500, between the 2-3/4" and 3" rounds, it likes the 3"ers.

David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Like I said, it's weird. At 100 yds, which is where I've sighted it in, the 3"ers maintain their projectory better than the 2-3/4"s. Maybe it's Federal's design. Don't get me wrong, I'd use either when hunting as they both shoot well.

David

B

·
0 Posts
Overall that Mossberg 500 is a great shotgun, I just got tired of hunting with a pump, I always wanted a semi-auto, so I treated myself to one

·
Registered
17 Posts
HAve Mossberg 695 Bolt action slug gun and it loves to throw Winchester Partition Gold. No problem with 2"-3" pattern at 100yrds. Longest shot to date was 127 paces from standing position and dropped him dead in his tracks. Had used Lightfields a few years ago and they were the best, however Lightfield changed something and they didn't pattern well after that. I don't know exactly what changed, all I know is one year the shells were now blue in color. That's when I switched to Winchester 2 3/4" 1 oz.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Can you still get the bolt action Mossberg?

B

·
0 Posts
Winchester superX 2 2/3 work well.
what is a 2 2/3 shell? [hihi][rofl]
I have a Mossy 500 w/Cantilever Scope (24" rifled barrel). I use 3" Federal Sabots. They shoot better than the 2-1/2" ones.
I would hope the 3" shot better then those 2-1/2" shells[rofl][hihi]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
My 500 Mosseburg 12ga works the best with Winchester 2 3/4 1 oz slugs at 3.35 a box. It is deadly out to 90 yards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts