New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's. I'm looking to pickup one of those Mossberg 500 shotgun's at Dick's for my son. They have it on sale. I checked it out yesterday and could pick it up tomorrow night for the $189 price. This week it is $199. It comes with the 28" barrel and invector choke tubes. Would it be good for deer shooting 00 oir 000 buck shot, for birds or even clay targets? Look's to be a reliable all around gun for the price. What do you think? Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why bother with 00 or 000 buckshot? Sure the buckshot is a little larger, very little but not as many shot per shell. Try 1 buck or 4 buck. Lot's of shot means lots of holes. Better shot pattern and better chance of making it in the kill zone with more shot.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
The Mossberg 500 is an excellent all around gun. And as far as buckshot is concerned, go with whatever patterns the best. Personally, if you can get a good pattern with 00 or 000 buckshot, I'd take that anyday over 1 or 4.

David

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I have had a model 500 and upgraded to a model 835 last year. The "500" is a great all around shotgun and at a great price. You can purchase barrels and choke tubes direct from Mossberg or through Cabela's at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Houndawgg - Is that a 26" or 28" barrell and does it have the invector choke tubes?

·
Registered
260 Posts
great gun for the money. your son will take all types of game with it. will only need one gun to hunt everything in new jersey

joe

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I recently bought an 835. What sold me on the gun is the choke tubes. The tubes are much longer than any other gun I looked at. On the patterning range with the turkey choke that came with the gun the pattern was 6" diameter at 20yds. With my improved cylinder waterfowl choke I tryed 00buck at 40 yards. There were 5-6 pellets that would have been on a deer.

I cannot wait to turkey hunt with this gun.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
i use the 500 i have both barrels for it it is a great all around gun...you cant go wrong with it,,and mossberg stands behind theyr guns...mine the pump stopped working after about 10 years and local gunsmith sent it to mossberg,,,they fixed it free of charge

1 - 11 of 11 Posts