New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on a butcher within a 20-30 minute drive from Rockaway? Tom seems far. George in Kearny is definitely way too far. It seems that the region is in need of someone more local. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Janeks may be closer to you.. he is in passaic.... not much closer but closer.
I think he is on Monroe st

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick responses. It's amazing that nobody is stepping in to fill the void in this area.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Jorge and Son, but I think he moved this past spring although he is still butchering deer. I used him last year and he was great. He called to let me know he had moved, but this season I'll be back to butchering my own now that my surgery stuff is fully healed. Jorge's cell is 862-432-0387. I don't recall where he relocated to, but he retired from his full time butcher job with one of the big grocery stores to take on deer and other animals full time in his retirement. Very clean shop and I think he was in Rockaway until the recent move. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Alpine Meats in Blairstown. Make sure it's clean when you bring it in though. No head, hooves, or fur. I've heard of them turning people away before. They did two deer for me this past year and everything came out excellent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jorge and Son, but I think he moved this past spring although he is still butchering deer. I used him last year and he was great. He called to let me know he had moved, but this season I'll be back to butchering my own now that my surgery stuff is fully healed. Jorge's cell is 862-432-0387. I don't recall where he relocated to, but he retired from his full time butcher job with one of the big grocery stores to take on deer and other animals full time in his retirement. Very clean shop and I think he was in Rockaway until the recent move. Hope it helps.
I tried Jorge two years ago. He had a great shop but in the middle of the season he just stopped taking in deer for a while. He also relocated into Sussex County and really took himself out of convenience for most of us. I hope he does well. nice guy.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Any recommendations on a butcher within a 20-30 minute drive from Rockaway? Tom seems far. George in Kearny is definitely way too far. It seems that the region is in need of someone more local. Any recommendations?
I just had a post on this exact thing because I am in Rockaway a few weeks back. Jorge is no longer in the area so it seems we have to travel a little especially if we shoot one locally.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I tried Jorge two years ago. He had a great shop but in the middle of the season he just

That was because he still had his full time job. He was able to retire early and now will butcher full time during deer season and take off the rest of the year unless he has a special request. But as you said, he's now in Sussex. How about Sussex Meat Packing which has a shop in Wharton? That's not too far at all.

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
I use Fred States in Stanhope, about 15min west of Rockaway without traffic. He has a nice set up in his garage at home, and works at Sussex Meat Packing during the day. He usually takes the week off during 6day to cut deer from home. He is usually home by 5:30 during the week so in the early bow season I only hunt late afternoon/evenings. 973-347-6064

There is also Jimmy Young up in Blairstown but thats a long drive from Rockaway. 908-362-7674

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
I tried Jorge two years ago. He had a great shop but in the middle of the season he just

That was because he still had his full time job. He was able to retire early and now will butcher full time during deer season and take off the rest of the year unless he has a special request. But as you said, he's now in Sussex. How about Sussex Meat Packing which has a shop in Wharton? That's not too far at all.
I don't think Sussex Meat Packing cuts deer anymore. I remember as a kid they used to but I believe they gave it up sometime in the 90's.

Reactions: MackofallTrades

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
ditto

I didn't know he moved....He had a nice set up in Rockaway

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey bud my name is Travis. I can help you out if you don't mind riding to Stillwater. I grew up in Denville/Rockaway area. I'm only about 30-40 minutes from there. I run T&D deer processing. If you get in a bind. I will gladly take your business. Pm me and I'll send you all my info. Good luck this year and hope to hear from you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts