New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the pequest st. around 5, had 8 solid points and I bumped 2 crossing a hedgrow. I finished running the dog without re fhunting any of the birds, Went back with my friends on sunday and all 3 dogs got into lots of birds. I took some great pictures of thr dog that I will be enlarging. I tried to post them but the resolution was too high. There are lots of FREE birds out there to work your dog on, get out there and take advantage of these wild birds. You cannot get anything better for your dog than wild birds. They will hold great for a dog and your dog will never see them on the ground.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Have not taking the pup their yet.
What section did you go?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Park at the dog training area and work the hedgerows to the right. If your dog has never been on wood cock before don't be afraid to re hunt the areas and make sure you hit both sides of the hedgerow.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Near the dog training area, but walked down towards the swamp off of Fredon-Sprindale Road....walked back towards a large pond/lake and came back to the parking area. Not too familiar with the area, just kind of walked around for an hour.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Pointer thanks, I kind of passed over the fields and thought the woods/swamp would be more productive, but I don't know much about woodcock. Yeah she has never seen a woodcock, so I am not sure if she knows why she is there yet, only ever been on quail/chukar/pheasant/pigeons.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Pm sent

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mj usually in the fall I target the swamps and look for green grass around the edges, but for some reason they seem to like these hedgerows in the spring. I worked the hedgerows on the opposite side and find none. Woodcock can be here one day and gone the next, enjoy them while you can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.