New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened last Friday, and the only paper that I saw it in was the Pike County Dispatch www.pikedispatch it's in the local section.
Here's the story printed out.
WALPACK, N.J. — A seven-year-old girl was electrocuted in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area Friday by a makeshift contraption that a leaseholder in the park used to ward off black bears.

According to a news release issued by the park, rangers responded to the Delaware View House, a general store in Walpack Township on the New Jersey side of the park, around 3:11 on Friday afternoon. The girl, who has not been identified, was not breathing. She was flown to Morristown Memorial Hospital, where she was listed in satisfactory condition at 6 p.m. Friday evening.

A further investigation revealed the source of the girl’s electrocution. Leaseholder George Kately, of Sparta, N.J., who operated the Delaware View House, was arrested for maintaining a hazardous device on federal land and disorderly conduct. Kately cooperated fully with the investigation, and was released by a federal judge later that evening.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So now people are taking matters into their own hands. If a gun was left unattended, and a kid shot themselves, the anti's would be blaming the person and the gun. So why aren't bears being blamed along with Mr Kately? Or Gov. Corzines stance that "there is no bear problem."

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I'm relieved to hear that the girl suffered no long term harm.

As for the media, the story should be about how the government has refused to properly manage the growing bear population and how people in return are taking matters into their own hands.

In the lingo of the news media... "Mr. Kately is an activist. He performed civil disobedience." Isn't that how the media portrays things when an animal extremist resists arrest or puts themselves in a bear trap as a way of civil disobediance?

Mr. Kately performed an act of civil disobedience by protecting his property or assets. The papers should be all over it for this angle.

But don't hold your breath.

Ant

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I thought they told bee keepers to use an electric fence along with chainlink fence to protect their bee's I wonder what all he used exactly.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
So sad I feel bad for the kid. We really need to get a bear hunt in NJ. This is getting way out of hand.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'd like to hear George's side of the story. It sucks that he will get raked through the coals for this incident.

I stopped by the BEAR wacko's tent at the fair last year to find out what to do to keep the bears out of 10 acres of oats, since the 3-S's would be totally unacceptable in today's era. They suggested electric fence, but then decided that that wouldn't be "economically feasible" when I asked him if he had any idea how many feet of fence it would take.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.