1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I saw a Moose back in 83 , went to school with her, man she was fugly [lol]

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
True. It, a young bull, was tracked moving down through NY state and it crossed the Delaware into PA before swimming the Delaware again into Sussex County and then back up into NY state. I don't recall the exact year (didn't open the article you posted), but it was several years ago now. First documented moose since the 1800s as I recall in NJ.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Wow-I didn't even know you could find moose in the Adirondacks? Even in the southern portion of Maine they're a rare sight.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Wow-I didn't even know you could find moose in the Adirondacks? Even in the southern portion of Maine they're a rare sight.
[confused][confused]

ME, NH and VT all have annual hunting seasons for moose and NY state is considering it in a few years as moose continue their southern expansion back into areas they haven't been seen in nearly 200 years.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I remember that, it walked through my coworker's yard. She looked out her window and there were a dozen people in her back yard all carrying on about the young bull moose that had just walked through. It came down from NY for a short visit, didn't like what it saw and headed across the Delaware to see what Pa had to offer.

Pretty cool!! [up][up]

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I didn't even know you could find moose in the Adirondacks?
A friend of mine hunts with a club up there and for a few years they had been seeing prints. Just this past October they finally had their first actual moose sighting while scouting for rifle season.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
your link is a reference, not proof
If you feel you need proof, contact Carole Stanko at the Division of F&W and she'll confirm it to you...she's our principle deer biologist for the state. Yes, moose are in the deer family.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
ME, NH and VT all have annual hunting seasons for moose and NY state is considering it in a few years as moose continue their southern expansion back into areas they haven't been seen in nearly 200 years.
I just remember a National Park Ranger at Acadia telling us that moose are not often seen south of Bangor or Skowhegan. Plenty of room for moose to roam in the Great North Woods between the New England states and NY though.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If you feel you need proof, contact Carole Stanko at the Division of F&W and she'll confirm it to you...she's our principle deer biologist for the state. Yes, moose are in the deer family.
i don't need any proof. i was just pointing out the different between a reference to an event, like what was written in the link that was posted (a secondary source), and proof, or physical evidence, of the event, such as a footprint or a photograph.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
I hunt in the adirondacks and there has been numerous sightings of moose on my road through the years. no reason to believe they cant show up here.

I mean who would have ever thought there would be Boone n Crocket bucks on Staten Island.

·
Banned
315 Posts
I grew up in NH and always looked forward to the predictable report of a moose bull falling in love with a cow report on the news. Somewhere in the state every year it would be reported that a moose would frequent the edge of a dairy field and, according to the reporter, be infatuated with one of the cows. You'd have the farmer interviewed.

There isn't much happening in NH, so this makes the news. I miss that state....

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
They shld put some elk in stokes

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
it was in 1996

This is the article from the NY times...

Moose, Single, Seeks Same at Water Gap
Published: September 26, 1996
Sign In to E-Mail

Print

A wandering moose, apparently looking for a mate in New Jersey over the weekend, has been spotted in the Delaware Water Gap area of Pennsylvania. It might be said he's looking for love in all the wrong places.

''The closest viable population is in the Adirondacks region of upper New York State,'' Bob Ericksen, principal biologist with the State Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife office in Clinton, said today.

The wandering moose, estimated to weigh 900 to 1,100 pounds, caused incredulous reactions in Sussex County over the weekend with verified sightings in Hampton and Frankford, Mr. Ericksen said.

The moose left a hoofprint on the shore of Culvers Lake, an area similar to the habitat moose prefer. Moose have been moving south from Maine in recent years to the upper reaches of New York State, but New Jersey is not on their itinerary.

''We have no expertise in moose management,'' said Fred Carlson, wildlife management chief, adding that his office deals primarily with deer and bears. He said staff members were consulting other state wildlife management officers about how to move a moose, should the need arise.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts