New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When can I get I fo on when the best moon phase is and when to be out there? I've heard the farmers almanac is good but it's complicated!

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
I was never on an out of state hunt during a full moon that wasn't trouble with game movement during the day. I like the darker moon phasses and especially the last 1/4.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Try googleing "moon phase". There several sites that have this years phases.
The last 4 or 5 days and the the first few of the new cycle have been favorite for years:D:D...as I look up at by bubbies on my wall[hihi]

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I hunt when I can. Not based on moon stages. I have friends who schedule vacations around moon stages.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I hunt when I can. Not based on moon stages.
I do that to. Free time should be used for treetime:D

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I've heard the farmers almanac is good but it's complicated!
First you have to understand the moon is an "influence" on deer. When you go into the almanac go to moon then "rise and set times".This will give you the option to plug in your area. Then you can search any date forward you'd like. Notice when the moon rise is in relation to the sun set and rise. Movement should increase when the moon rises just before either sun set or rise. At the end of each day is the "day lenth" category, this is the single most important factor when trying to figure out when the does will come into estrus the first time. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
All the scientific research I have seen, basically says the same thing. Moon phase has no impact on deer movement. I can't find one documented study that shows moon phase is anything other than myth. Google it, see what you come up with... personally, I'd pay more attention to weather.[up]

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
All the scientific research I have seen, basically says the same thing. Moon phase has no impact on deer movement.
This is pretty much been my experience as well. While many steadfastly believe in the "rutting moon", and moon phase hunting. All of the controlled studies indicate that there is absolutely no connection between moon phase, and deer movement.

I read an article on the "rutting moon", and was absolutely convinced it was correct. I spent trhe next 3 years plotting my rut hunts around the moon in November-to no avail. I did A LOT of further research, and learned that there were many actual scentificaly controlled studies that show "0" connection between the moon and deer movement.

Believe what you will, but I've removed "moon phase" from my hunting compendium

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My only theory is that they can see better when there is a full moon because it's lighter out. Just pure speculation though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts