New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... heres the test. do you know how to read a moon chart? It is a chart that tells you when the moon comes rises & sets. THe test is to read and type what time is the best time to hunt.

Sun and Moon Data for One Day

The following information is provided for Phillipsburg, Warren County, New Jersey (longitude W75.2, latitude N40.7):

Saturday
10 September 2005 Eastern Daylight Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:09 a.m.
Sunrise 6:37 a.m.
Sun transit 12:58 p.m.
Sunset 7:18 p.m.
End civil twilight 7:45 p.m.

MOON
Moonset 10:01 p.m. on preceding day
Moonrise 1:46 p.m.
Moon transit 6:17 p.m.
Moonset 10:42 p.m.
Moonrise 2:56 p.m. on following day

Phase of the Moon on 10 September: waxing crescent with 41% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.

First quarter Moon on 11 September 2005 at 7:37 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Civil Twilight is the best damn time to kill that old bruiser. It's when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon, it's the point where you could make out objects clearly. thats all I know. I never did follow that moon stuff. I just always go out hunting, And take my chances I'll have a good day.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Ive read about the moon charts etc, how often does that information actually work?

Plus you still have to be in an area that has deer to see them between 6:09 and 6:37! ;)

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I've found that deer seldom disappear. They are always in the woods because they have nowhere else to go. Solunar tables do help predict when they will be moving but in NJ many other factors come in to play as well. (car traffic, Mrs. Jones walking her dog, other hunters, ect..)

Bottom line is you got to be in it to win it. I've yet to meet a hunter that won't go out before first light because the moon table said it's not a good time.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I disagree, I think moon charts can help a lot to know when there are peaks in animal activity. Whether people know it or not, the moon and sun are our real clocks, and they work on all animals. Photoperiodism (amount of daylight) is what triggers the rut.

Though you arent going to coordinate an entire hunt around a half hour peak activity period, it can help you decide if an all day sit is worthwhile, or if you are limited on time to hunt, you can try to pick days that fall within peak daylight activities.

Lets face it, there are days when the deer are much more active at night, moon charts predict that!

Now Im not saying you should follow it to a "t", but use it as another advantagous tool.

All that being said, I dont know what to look for on that chart, I understand the ones for dummies, where they print out the peak times. I do know however, that the best times are around the time opposite of when the moon is at its highest point. In other words, if the moon peaks at 12:00am, peak activites would probably occur around 12:00(noon). That may be wrong, but I learned that somewhere over the years.

Good idea MG....Maybe you can teach me some more about it.----Matt[up]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Last year I used the" Deer Hunter's Moon Guide " and it seemed to work. The only thing that affected it was the weather. If it indicated a good time period for movement, and it was raining hard or high winds the deer didn't move much. Other than that, it seemed to work.
http://www.moonguide.com/

Then again in the case of High winds or heavy rain, the chances of me being in a tree to "see" them move would be slim to none !!

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK. The moon moves game. When you have a moon that is rising the Game tend to move and feed more. Sunrise/Sunset only means what time you can shoot. Between the moons phases also move the game as well. It is just like fishing, when does the fish hit more? In the tides/moon phase.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:09 a.m.
Sunrise 6:37 a.m.
Sun transit 12:58 p.m.
Sunset 7:18 p.m.
End civil twilight 7:45 p.m.

MOON
Moonset 10:01 p.m. on preceding day
Moonrise 1:46 p.m.
You would find the best time to hunt would be the afternoon From about 1:00pm till 7:45pm

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
So if Im understanding you correctly;

This moon chart indicates that 1:46pm is when the peak will start on the tenth.

On the eleventh, it would be starting at 2:56pm.

What dictates when the peaks end?

Like I said, I believe in all of this too an extent, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that the sun & moon are an animals "clocks" but I just dont know how to read these charts.

I would like to proudly add that I typed this BEFORE he posted the answer, thank you very much...Ok ok, hold down the applause!:D

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They will still be out moving then you check for the next rise
Your right Matty. Now this will change once the Full Moon comes. Anyone that has a moon chart start checking now the times you see more deer moving, or you can start writing down the times and go to MoonChart

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
The moon guide that I have says ( reads ), that the prime time to and from or at an open food sourse is:
6:19 pm on Sept. 10
I'll try to remember to bring this Moon Guide with me on Sun.
But others are right in that If your not in the woods, you ain't gonna see them move !!

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry forgot to talk about the transit Time.

This is the time when it is turning as it moves slowly thro quarters ( New, First Quarter, Full, Last Quarter ) Thanks NightStalker911. This time is the same for Fishing too. More Game animals have been taken within 1 hour of this time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts