Been interested in this.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Is it permit only?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Just checked the regs - Permit only Lottery - seems to run with the january management hunts.

Didn't say whether they had a separate bow-only period.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
They should get the UBNJ to do a Bow only hunt there.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PLA390 I'm going to apply for the lottery, I think you have to get the permit in the lottery, then go to a seminar at the park. For permit shotgun a few days in january only.

This is my second season hunting, I didnt harvest any deer last year so Im exploring alot of new places I just hope the place isn't packed in the end of january.

Dennis

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I hear ya - I think the lottery will at least reduce the number of hunters out there. You should sign up for Community Based Deer Management programs. They run in the winter at several Park locations.

Check the Monmouth County Park Systems site.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Mo Co had a winter management program where most of the locations were shotgun, muzzleloader and bow inclusive.

A special permit was required - you had to go to Thompson Park in person to fill out forms and recieve packet.

No deer drives, treestand only, no ground blinds, no self tracking. You were required to wait in your stand until Rangers gave you the ok. If you made a shot and needed to track - the rangers would track with you.
Limited time - in January your hunting hours in the management zones were from 7-9:30 am depending on daylight.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds great, I email them (monmouth county parks) and called them about 2 weeks ago, no response yet, Id love to try it out.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the link, seems like alot of regulations.

Do they allow you on site to scout before season? At the golf courses especially?

Did you participate? How was the hunting?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
thanks for the link, seems like alot of regulations.

Do they allow you on site to scout before season? At the golf courses especially?

Did you participate? How was the hunting?
I scouted Thompson and Hartshorne since no hunting was allowed prior to management hunt.

I hunted hartshorne 4 days after the hunt began. Most of the does had been taken by shotgun and muzzleloaders. I think they bagged 7 on the first day, and a bit more at thompson. If I do it again it'll be on the first weekday morning of the hunt.

If you want to scout, ask permission at the golf courses - other wise the parks are already available to scout. Just don't leave your trail-cam behind.

I scouted Huber woods in anticipation of a 'bow-only'. hunt never happened though I found quite a few beds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts