New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning to all, here I am again no sleep:( awaiting 0300hrs so I could head out to High Point's Muzzleloader Hunt.
Best of Luck to all today.[up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Good luck. You can only use tradional muzzleloaders right?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
here I am again no sleep awaiting 0300hrs
Hope you didn't fell asleep and over sleep. Last time you didn't sleep you checked in before you left.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Went out about 1:00pm. I was sitting in a stand hung over the corner of a foodplot of oats and biologic Maximum. Was there last Tuesday and it hadn't been touched. Today, the plot was devastated...the deer have wiped it out. I've been told they really hit it hard after a couple of frosts, and we had some frosts last week. It is supposed to bring the sugars in the plant to the leaves, and the deer love them.

At 2:30pm, I had a buck grunting and chasing a few does in the woods behind me. About 10 minutes later, 2 button bucks came out and started feeding on the plot. At about 2:55pm, and small broken Y buck came out and nudged the buttons around a little, then went around checking the field edge. He had a fork on his right side, and left side was broken off at the base. He went back in the woods at about 3:10pm, and one of the buttons went in at 3:15pm, the other bedded down in the high weeds on the edge of the field less than 20 yards from me. At about 3:30pm, two does and two fawns came out and entered the plot. The lead doe was very big, and even though I had the wind from her to me, she must have sensed something was not right, and after about 5 minutes, she went back in the woods, taking the other deer with her and never offering a shot.

At about 3:50pm, I had a small spike come out directly under the stand. He sniffed the tree steps for a few minutes, then went into the field and went up and down the edge scent checking the ground. I grunted him back twice, just playing with him. He went into the woods where the other deer had come out about 20 minutes later. Shortly after he went in the woods, I saw another deer down in the far corner of the field, about 250 yards away. It was the broken Y buck, and he was coming up the edge of the field, nose to the ground. When he got near my other stand, he went in the woods, and about a minute later, him and the spike both came out 10 yards from that stand. They butted heads a few times, then the spike worked across the field towards the south field (there are two fields on the farm, I was hunting the north one). I watched him for a minute, then looked back at the Y buck, and noticed a doe had come out in the far corner, and the Y buck was heading towards her. He chased her around for about 20 minutes in the field, then they stopped and looked towards the south field. I saw a deer coming towards them, and thought it was the spike at first, but it turned out to be another broken Y buck. This one had a Y on the left side, and the right side was broken off. He made a beeline for the other two deer, and when he got close, both bucks pinned their ears back, hair bristled up and began circling each other. I thought they were going to fight, but they just circled each other for 10 minutes, then the second broken Y buck, which had a bigger body, began chasing the doe, and the smaller buck just watched. The bigger Y chased that poor doe all over the field, in and out of the woods, for about 30 minutes. As I was watching all that, I looked down to my left and saw a big doe had come out of the corner into the plot. She was about 25 yards away, but a few branches obstructed her vitals. It was getting dark now, and the chasing Y buck and the doe had gone in the woods. The other Y was walking towards my side of the field, grunting loud and deep. The doe was watching him, on red alert, and moved up the plot away from me, and the Y buck.

I could have shot that spike or first Y buck several times, but wanted one of those big does...maybe next time. I had constant deer action from 2:30pm til dark.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't you ever sleep?
not when I'm hunting :D

Hope you didn't fell asleep and over sleep. Last time you didn't sleep you checked in before you left.
actually I was up all nite, but the computer wouldn't start[confused]

I saw a monster ten pointer in High Point, but still hadn't gotten the doe..saw 6 bears two were huge. will try again tomorrow..[up]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts