New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to muzzleloading and have a question. When hunting, if you do not get anything how to you unload your muzzleloader. I hear a lot of shot close to dusk and have been told those are hunter unloading their muzzleloaders. I have ofter been told the a muzzleloader is considered unloaded if the primer in not in. I don't buy the last one. I am curious to see what veterans do. I know the hunter ed course recommends a CO2 discharged, but I have heard they are tricky.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
What 35whelan said is true. Sometimes I'll keep it charged for no more then 3 days. Take the cap off every night when you leave the woods, in dead of winter I'll put a ballon over the muzzle to trap air and have the cap off leaving the smokepole in a case. The case keeps it from being to cold to touch, but doesn't let it sweat so your powder stays dry.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
For keeping an inline loaded overnight I would recommend 1)remove primer cap 2)replace primercap with a spent primer,for added moisture protection 3)cover muzzle with a finger cot 4)attach red cloth or bandana to trigger as an addition safety feature to note the gun is loaded.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
attach red cloth or bandana to trigger as an addition safety feature to note the gun is loaded.
Good thinking jcchartboy. Everyone that shoots a muzzleloader should ram rod it everytime they pick it up to make sure it is unloaded. But I like your way. That seems to would be faster, but I would still rod it. Been doing that for years.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Wow. So many firearms safety rules broken there. Where to start??

Definately put something on the gun saying it is loaded... Someone I know was telling me his friend left his loaded all year and the next hunting season was getting ready to go hunting the next morning and decided to fire a cap to clean out the nipple... Boy did he get a suprise,,,He also ventilated his roof, thank god no one was upstairs.... Funny thing was guy was a cop.............Won't say what town....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts