New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*sigh* Ready for another sob story by the newbie? [cry] You guys must be laughing at all the stupid stuff I do :ko: I have an excuse, only been hunting a year and I'm learning on the fly by myself. I'm glad I'm getting all these mistakes out of the way so early on, I still have all of October yet to get my act together.

OK, yesterday before dark, I went back out to my spot, sprinkled some more corn - not a lot, no more than 5# or so, but I sprinkled it all over. Make them work for it. I also had a saltlick on the property elsewhere - I grabbed it and moved it to my blind area where the corn is.

I got out this morning (I decided to go again - can't get the experience thinking about it from home, as someone said :)) Well, I didn't have to worry about this spot being burnt, because at 6:30am, here comes a medium-size doe walk right in! AWESOME! I'm thinking. She starts browsing around for the corn. Perfect broadside look - no more than 11 or 12 yards away! OMG... my first deer, and its a perfect broadside look at perfect distance! hearts pounding - here's where all the practice at the range comes to fruition. I draw the bow.....

Before I finish the story :) let me tell you about this blind. I do have another nice, huge, two man blind at home, but it cost me 180 bucks and I'm not leaving it out there for the trespassers to steal (already had someone steal stuff before). So I bought a used $30 outhouse blind and that's the one I used. Every morning when I get in it, and I get setup, I always do a practice draw to make sure I have room. Well, everytime, I just brush the blind walls before I get to full draw - I guess I'm too tall or my draw length is just a bit too long. It was just enough that it always worried me - "will a deer see that little bit of movement?" Bah, I'll be fine, I thought.

Well, you can guess what happened. Doe must have seen or heard the blind move, turns her head and stares right through me. I never finished my draw - I had to stop and freeze once she turns her head and looked right at me. Stomps her foot twice, and bolts.

DAMMIT!!!! [wallmad]

Left dejected at 7:30. I'm an idiot. Couldn't stop thinking about it. Took down the blind and took it with me back home - not using this with a bow anymore. ARGH!

OK, now my question. When people say they use a "natural ground blind" - what is it you do? Do you sit by a tree? Sit between bushes? Actually build up something?

Next time, I'm either going to go out with my turkey vest and kickstand seat and try my best not to be seen again in natural cover (how do you draw out in the open like that at ground level?) or I'm just gonna carry in/out my big blind and just set it up every morning. That would suck because the deer won't have a chance to get used to it, so I don't even know if that would work. I'm thinking natural cover is the way to go, but is it enough just to sit down next to a tree? That might work for turkey hunting, but deer - I dunno, these deer are sneaky good. :}

FWIW, no tall, sturdy trees in this area here for my climber. Its ground hunting only. Lots of brush, lots of bushes and smaller, bushy trees with some open small open areas. No tall oaks or things like that to climb.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
That's why i carry in and carry out the gear that work's for me. Secondary item's are usually just that. Better luck next time!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Milk crate, burlap camo, few branches with leaves, put the corn in a straight line along a tree that will block it's head and just show the body of deer broadside. You may not realize it but you are learning what not to do! Hang in there in one day you went from busting deer out to almost getting one in a perfect scenario. Always make your blind bigger then you need especially for bow,and make sure you draw below the blind and rise up for the shot. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Find a blow down clear out where you Will sit. Use branches get your height then cover with pine branches and other natural cover.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
its a no brainer in your spot against a tree . build a nature ground blind with dead wood as a base . with new branches with leaves up on top to cobceal you . you have leave holes in the blind for shooting . also i hope you been practing shooting the bow from a sitting position. good luck

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Your learning, I'm still learning things after 25yrs of hunting, made a lot of mistakes and still make a couple now and again. As long as you keep learning from them they are not mistakes but learning experiences. Even in my favorite treestand the last thing I do after getting settled in is practice draw bow... then wait for deer.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Why not use a treestand? Alot more efficient than a blind
He's saying he doesnt have the right trees on the property.

I think someone else mentioned it but just use whats available. Build a natural one with sticks, branches, leaves pine trees etc

Im still learning too and always will be. Im done if I cant learn anything just about each time out. Leaving at 730 and 8am should be avoided tho man. At the earliest id say leave at 930 or hunt the afternoon/evening and sit til dark. I know its hard for the workin man tho so anytime is still better than no time in the woods

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's OK man. Learning from your mistakes will ultimately make you a better hunter. I tough myself also and personally I think that is an advantage in itself.....look at it this way..At least it wasn't a big Buck.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
more than 40 years still get busted by deer, hogs ,javalina you name it. Its part of the game or else it would be target practice lol
Keep it up all these things teach you a lesson. (a good thing not trying to be mean)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
For what it's worth I believe the hardest critter in the woods to harvest is an old doe. I've been busted by those old bit&chs more times then I can remember. Bucks get wacky during Rut but does just stay alert all the time. Don't let it frustrate ya! You are now a member of a very large group of hunters that have been trained by the herd's doe population. LOL

Art

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
My blind is square and I place is so that im drawing from corner to corner to give me extra room to draw. Front to back, my elbow would hit the back.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Quality pays, it doesn't cost...by trying to save that other blind for something cost you a filled tag. Blinds are like gun safes, they can never be too big

·
Registered
462 Posts
lol dont feel bad first season i started had a monster walk to 15 yards and put his head behind a tree to eat something so i took the chance to draw.i was so nervous i didn't release the pressure of my finger holding the arrow on a drop away rest and when i went to draw i pulled the nock out of the bow string and drew and blank bow...and yes he quickly looked around the tree right at me an wandered off before i could nock the arrow no deer but it makes a ever lasting impression in your mined.keep at it atleast your seeing somthinge

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Just a warning you can't get away with the movement in a natural blind compared to a good hunting blind. Best of luck sure it won't be long till you have one on the ground

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Hang in there, sometimes the best way to find out what you need to do is by first finding out what not to do….

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
there has to be some kind of tree in the area you can hang a stand in... but a natural ground blind is build with sticks and branches--pine branches work best[up]..... be lucky you have seen deer i still didnt get out yet and i live for deer hunting
[up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts