New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my 2008 antelope scored at the insistence of those I was on the hunt with. I went to the Garden State Outdoor Sportsmen Show and had Sugar measure the horns once and for all. The final score was 66" even. To make Pope and Young it needed to be 67" even. Close but that only counts with hand grenades and horseshoes. It really doesn't matter. I am still proud of this antelope I shot on a spot and stalk hunt with my bow.

I'd like to thank Sugar for taking the time to measure my trophy.
Thanks again, Mark! [up]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I am still proud of this antelope i shot on a spot and stalk hunt with my bow.
As you should be !!!
Congratulations on YOUR trophy [up][up]

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Mike THAT was fast (See my post on the show thread)!

THAT IMO is the problem with numbers it has the potential to devalue an animal or hunt.
that is one good looking old goat and the animal hes holding is even better looking than he is.

The fact that it was a spot and stalk kill has no bearing on the score yet so much more IMO to the value of the hunt. Hats off to you bud.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THAT IMO is the problem with numbers it has the potential to devalue an animal or hunt.
that is one good looking old goat and the animal hes holding is even better looking than he is.

The fact that it was a spot and stalk kill has no bearing on the score yet so much more IMO to the value of the hunt. Hats off to you bud.
I couldn't agree more JB! Especially, on the good looking old goat thing...:D

Thanks for the thumbs up everyone!

In all my hunting life the experience far outweighs the numbers of anything I ever killed. They are all trophies. The first deer I ever shot was a doe with an unknown brand fiberglass stick bow. The arrows were fiberglass and the broadhead was a 3" Hildebrant with 1/2 inch bleeders. It took the arrow 5 seconds (or so it seemed) to hit the target at 40 yards...

I was standing on a 2X4 in the crotch of a twin trunked tree about four feet off the ground. I could only shoot in front of me and luck had the doe and her two little ones come right toward me. I remember the fever and the leather from my finger tabs jabbing at my jaw bone as I put aim on the doe facing me at 15 yards. I waited for her to turn. She never did, but she did put her head back to her rump to bite at whatever was bothering her. Her exposed neck and chest locked as huge as the paper plates I passed my bow test on just weeks before.

I'll never forget the arrow hitting the base of her neck and her backflip trying to get away. I shook to the point of falling off my perch in the excitement of it all. I remember it like yesterday.

The funny thing was that with this antelope I could feel my release hand knocking on my jawbone as I put the pin on him. Just as it did some 38 years before. You really can't put a number on that.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
In all my hunting life the experience far outweighs the numbers of anything I ever killed. They are all trophies. The first deer I ever shot was a doe with an unknown brand fiberglass stick bow. The arrows were fiberglass and the broadhead was a 3" Hildebrant with 1/2 inch bleeders. It took the arrow 5 seconds (or so it seemed) to hit the target at 40 yards...

I was standing on a 2X4 in the crotch of a twin trunked tree about four feet off the ground. I could only shoot in front of me and luck had the doe and her two little ones come right toward me. I remember the fever and the leather from my finger tabs jabbing at my jaw bone as I put aim on the doe facing me at 15 yards. I waited for her to turn. She never did, but she did put her head back to her rump to bite at whatever was bothering her. Her exposed neck and chest locked as huge as the paper plates I passed my bow test on just weeks before.

I'll never forget the arrow hitting the base of her neck and her backflip trying to get away. I shook to the point of falling off my perch in the excitement of it all. I remember it like yesterday.

The funny thing was that with this antelope I could feel my release hand knocking on my jawbone as I put the pin on him. Just as it did some 38 years before. You really can't put a number on that.
FLAT OUT the best hunting story I have ever read!
It put me there and I totaly idenified I have friends who have hunted around the world have been called at work or from sleep via satalite phone with brethless as it just happend hunting storys of Mule deer of 200" African beasts of all discriptions and B+C Moose taken with bows yet Mike your few lines right there are the best.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
.........or was it this Youngs Chokolate double stout?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.