New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started hunting a new piece and want try a mineral lick site.. 1. What's a good homegrown recipe or store bought lick? 2. Does the lick need to be near a water source, if so how far? 3. Is it to late to start one or will the deer hit it all year round? Thanks for the advice in advance

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Throw a tractor supply Wild berry mineral block out there with the corn in it. A little mineral and a little bite of corn. They last a long time. Or you can get technical and come up with all kind of witches brew. Don't need water.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
In addition to what I posted above I also put out one of those big Brown tractor supply salt/mineral block, they last all year. I replace the corn blocks as needed and start dumping corn a week or two before hunting it. I would do it now.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Usually want it out early spring but cant hurt to try now. Try the stuff from bmelvin, im trying it. Seams like he's up on deer managment. And yes you want to be near some water if possible less than 100yds. I've even dug in a small bucket level with the ground and carried a gallon water jug in and filled it every time.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Usually want it out early spring but cant hurt to try now. Try the stuff from bmelvin, im trying it. Seams like he's up on deer managment. And yes you want to be near some water if possible less than 100yds. I've even dug in a small bucket level with the ground and carried a gallon water jug in and filled it every time.
Wow, you are good to the deer. Do you leave after dinner mints for them also. lol Seriously, why do you feel the water should be less than 100 yards?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sounds great guys. Looking forward to some pics. I am planning on being down at Cheyennes Sunday if anyone is looking for minerals. I will be there for a few hours probably starting at 12:30pm
image.jpg

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
You definitely want a water source nearby. All the QDMA sites and others discuss this at length. Also, deer prefer a non-flowing water source over a stream when possible. We have a stream that flows through our property, but I dug out two water holes nearby that hold water and the hoof prints around them don't lie. They can hear approaching predators much better when drinking from a small pond or lake than from a rushing stream or river. Also, if you Google mineral recipes, most will be pretty much the same mix. Most of the store bought stuff is mostly salt. There is a member here selling a mineral product that seems to be very well thought out and an excellent blend that would be pre-mixed. It saves the hassle of ordering the ingredients and mixing them yourself.

As for timing, there is no time like the present.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Wow, you are good to the deer. Do you leave after dinner mints for them also. lol Seriously, why do you feel the water should be less than 100 yards?
All have salt and will make them thirsty. Plus it helps them get more into there body.
Say you had were eating real salty peanut and you had a drink right there you will probably eat more peanuts right, but if you had to go down the road you would not eat many cause you have to leave. Same thing with the deer

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's a little late to start one but you never know. Loosen up the ground in a 30" circle. remove any grass or debris, clay type soils work the best. Dump a 40lb bag of watersoftner salt (blue bag $4.99) into the loose soil and mix it up with the dirt, doesn't have to mix completely but just so it's not looking like a pile of salt. Dump a cup of grape kool aid mix (the kind with the sugar added) over the top and wait for the results. Setting up near a trail and water source helps greatly. The deer will find it quicker because of the kool aid but after a rain or two the kool aid washes away, the deer keep coming for the salt and the bear don't hang around because the kool aid is gone. You get many different critters coming to the lick.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Bmelvin's product worked very well for me. I put it out a little late but they still tore it up and the ground is always turned over when I check on the area. I will definitely be using it next year. He has given me a lot of advice on a few different topics and is very knowledgable when it comes to QDM.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
All have salt and will make them thirsty. Plus it helps them get more into there body.
Say you had were eating real salty peanut and you had a drink right there you will probably eat more peanuts right, but if you had to go down the road you would not eat many cause you have to leave. Same thing with the deer
Lol, you eat salty nuts??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts