New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last few times I was out I noticed deer using another route about 60 yards from where I was set up. I decided to buy a climber and set up closer to them.
Now I know I should have practiced with it as I never used a climber before, just loc-ons and ladders but I just didn't have the time. Well I underestimated what it was going to take to use this setup. I was loud, set up later than I wanted, and worked up a sweat doing it. Hopefully its just the morning I killed. This is my only chance to sit for 3 weeks. I'm leaving for a trip to AZ on Wed morning.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm hoping. This is my first year with a bow so I've never hunted during the rut. On the plus side this climber is the most comfortable stand I've ever sat in. It's gonna make this long day real easy, I'll have to watch I don't fall asleep.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
good luck and you will see something hopefully

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
After a few times it'll b second nature. You will develop a system and a routine and keep perfecting it. After 19 years of using a climber I have my system down to a science and love being able to be mobile.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Been using climbers for about 25 yes now..my first was an amocker, first co to sell one I think...anyway my best tip is to leave the two pieces strapped together and attach platform to tree.. Use your thigh to hold in place while you do cable.then unstrap seat and put up. Do reverse when lleaving. Lot less clanking that way

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My first climber was also an Amacker*Dinosaur compared to my Summit Viper I have had for several years now*Loved the Amacker hang on stands and used them also for many years*

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What climber are you in
A summit. I don't remember the model but its the one with the little footrest. I thought that was just gonna be a gimmick but man its nice to have two different foot positions.

Thanks for the advise guys, I think I'm gonna like this thing once I get used to it. The only issue I see might be using it with a heave winter boot on. I'll definatly be doing a trial run with them on before the morning um hunting.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
This time the year you never know whats going to happen so hang in there
I get it "hang in there"...he's using a climber! Very nice play on words!!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
A lone wolf loc on and climbing sticks sets up maybe a few minutes more than any climber once you have the system down. I can be up a tree and on stand set up in 15 minutes plus you don't need a straight tall branch less tree and can hang in doubles and triples.

oh yeah as long as your in a spot that you have seen deer and the wind is decent like someone else said stay put, a buck can come out of nowhere.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
A lone wolf loc on and climbing sticks sets up maybe a few minutes more than any climber once you have the system down. I can be up a tree and on stand set up in 15 minutes plus you don't need a straight tall branch less tree and can hang in doubles and triples.

oh yeah as long as your in a spot that you have seen deer and the wind is decent like someone else said stay put, a buck can come out of nowhere.
I can hunt with my summit on my back and backpack on climber, leaving both hands free. Climbing sticks are little unwieldy and how do u carry them plus yr other sstuff?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
You'll be fine. To many stories to count about folks making noise and 15 min later a shooter shows up. Regarding winter clothes and the Summit. Pack boots may not work well with the stirrups on the summit. However, I have climbed in a Summit with everything from sneakers to knee high muck boots without issue. When I was hunting in single digits and below in NH winters, I used a pair of Cabelas work boot style boots with 1200 grams of thinsulate. Coldest of cold days I would just drop a hand warmer in each boot when I reached my desired hunting height. Never had an issue with cold feet.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I can hunt with my summit on my back and backpack on climber, leaving both hands free. Climbing sticks are little unwieldy and how do u carry them plus yr other sstuff?
Lone wolf sticks lock together and are extremely light. sticks, stand and pack all packed together on back, lighter than most climbers, quieter, only noise is me walking in, if I want to leave it up for a day or two I lock it and remove sticks only, if I see a buck and want to put a stalk on I can, if I drop something I grab it, if I need to take a shit no problem. It takes a while to get used to but once you have a system you won't look back. Most trees most spots. I used climbers for many years and don't look back.

only carry my bow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts