New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hope NJ changes the way they presently stock on weekdays. I think more birds should be stocked on Saturdays or the seasons/stockings should be extended. I really don't see the advantage of putting birds out on both Tuesdays and Thursdays. Leftover stocked birds just get eaten by predators. We all know it is put/take with quail and pheasants in NJ. I am not expecting any released birds to repopulate. People have to work on Tues. and Thurs.....

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
I was talking to a CO about the fella being shot at Colliers Mills. They may go back to the old rules to limit the amount of hunters in each WMA. I don't remember how it worked (there were plenty of wild birds back then and I didn't hunt WMA's) but maybe someone could chime in that remembers.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I was talking to a CO about the fella being shot at Colliers Mills. They may go back to the old rules to limit the amount of hunters in each WMA. I don't remember how it worked (there were plenty of wild birds back then and I didn't hunt WMA's) but maybe someone could chime in that remembers.
I remember when they did this back in the 70's (can't remember exactly) when we hunted the Assunpink. They would limit the number of folks who could get in.

Hey, at the Stewart Land co-op in New York, one area they stock pheasants; that's how they do it.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I do not work Tues or Thurs and plenty others do not. Retired, night shift workers, Police, Fire, retail, restaurant workers, landscapers, airport workers, etc

The WMAs are hardly empty on those days.

Putting all the birds out on the weekend will only make it more dangerous to hunt birds. Then, EVERYONE will hunt on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I hunted Whittingham when they limited the number of hunters that they allowed on Saturdays, Thanksgiving and the day after T-Day. I believe they let 400 on Whittingham. You had to get in line the night before or very early on Saturday morning (like 3:00 AM) to get an arm tag. I only did it a couple of times when I was in high school so I could hunt with my friends. My father belonged to a semi-wild and we had a good English Pointer, after getting a taste of pheasant hunting on State W/O a dog I gladly went back and hunted with my father.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
New Jersey needs to get with the times and allow hunting on Sunday's. It would lessen the Saturday "crush" during small game season.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
New York does not post dates.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I'd like to see a wild pheasant restoration program started like they did in PA, but in this convenience store State, its all about "getting my $40 worth"[eyeroll].

In the meantime, allow Sunday hunting, random stockings and do a better job of spreading out the birds.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
wow i guess i'm going to stir up a sh-t storm now !!

last year was the first time in 20 years that i picked up a p/q stamp (just to have a close place to run the dogs)i only go in to c.m. late in the afternoon weekdays.
talk about a trip back in time in 20 years nothing has changed (i think there were some of the same stuff dumped along the roads just settled a little lower)why has the state not improved these 12,000+ acres ??? what a waste .
now lets get stirring;a quick detour first , 20 yrs ago you did not put your foot in the field before legal time without the CO addressing it...and some of the stupid stunts pulled by so called sportsman would be handled swiftly. (by the way we call it wingshooting for a reason-rabbit hunters shoot at the ground...now lets create a safe and quality hunt...painful part $$$$$...a short and quick overveiw ...stocking days sat. , sun. , tues. and thur. season pass $300 for any one of those days(it would break down to about $25 each hunt day)number of hunters would be limited by pass sales (passes by lotto , than you could by the unsold before season start)i know iknow nobody can afford $300 bull sh-t if you can't afford this for a safe and good hunting season you should use this hunting time for a part time job !!! sorry harsh but true..
this is a very quick and incomplete outline but along these lines the state could put out birds , pay to have CO's weed out the unsafe/stupid and open up more bird hunter areas within these tracts of land and theres no reson that the hunters could not get togather to help plot/plan and execute these improvements (like the guys did at c.m. range)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.