New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to take a pole on this question.What is your opinion of killing a deer in missery and leaving it lay and not tagging it or taking it to the deer check station? Maybe not in missery as first mentioned but upon inspection of the downed deer you find out that there is a problem with the meat and you feel as though it is uneadibal.Aside from being illegal in NJ that the rules state a deer must be property tagged for transportation upon Havesting. Then be taken to the mandatory deer check.What is your opinion on this.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have been hunting this forkhorn with a bad limp since Oct. I wouldn't normally shoot a small buck, but the area just above his hoof is double the size of his lower leg.

Hopefully he was shot during 6 day. I am pretty much done deer hunting except perhaps some winter bow.

About 20 years ago I shot a small 3 legged doe. I would have checked it, but when I found it it looked like it had polio or something. I was afraid to touch it. I went to try to find a F&G biologist...in the mean time a bear got it.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't this a game violation to shoot it and leave it lay with out properly checking and disposal.I hope a CO could really clearify this for every one.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would really like to have as much input on this question as possible. Don't be shy stand up for whats correct policy.I know most of us might have been faced with this some time in our lives.Don't have to be specific just write in your input.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
take it out of the herd...and tag it..the way the state gives out tags, why not? not to mention if its prego doe it could bring in fawns that might not be healthy or infect other deer depending on the illness or problem. also if it looks like a real illness or disease contact F&G they will come get it from you or meet you at the check station

G

·
Yes, shooting a deer, not tagging and leaving it is a violation, and if you do this then get out of the woods cause you have no right to be there,and you have no morals. If you harvest a deer, and the meat or the deer itself doesn't look good to you, tag it, check it in, and then contact NJFG&W, they will issue you a new tag, if you do this you have done the right thing, and got a sick deer out of the herd.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Ive killed a few Deer that had broken bones or partial legs missing. I always check them and consume the meat.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are some of the legal answers, yes as well as ethical answers. I beleive there is the potential with this one violation to get maybe a couple out of it by doing it incorrectley. 300.00 first offence with repeat offenses up to 500.00,Loss of licence. Not good in my opinion and to dangerous to attempt. What is our responcibility if we see some one do this? Walk away?

·
11,226 Posts
When I was a lot younger I came across a doe while small game hunting that had been hit by a car. She had a big nasty looking gash on her back that was oozing puss with flies on it! She had at least 2 broken legs and was panting with her tungue out! She couldn't get up and was definitely going to die! I put a round of #6 into the back of her head and went about my day!
Now I have had some people say to me you should have just let nature take it's course and stayed out of it. The way I see it I am a part of nature and thats how I felt it should be handled! There was no point in letting that animal suffer any longer and the thought of being eaten alive is just nasty!!! If I had it to do again I would do the same thing! I hate to think about any animal suffering and will do what I can for any animal that is suffering! I'm sure that meat didn't go to waste with all the scavengers out there and the deer didn't have to go through the Hell of being eaten alive!

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I walked away once in a club in MD. I said nothing to the club and was told to shut up when I mentioned this to the guy who did it. And because I liked this guy and respected him I said nothing. The following year we lost the lease because of this deer left laying in the feild.To this day I feel it was my fault because I knew what happened and should have done the right thing then.Maybe I would have still been hunting that property. It was great duck and goose and great deer. Its hard to get both rights on a place like that in MD.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the way I look at it as well a Poacher and has no buisness amoung our ranks.Putting things out of there missery is one issue then following up on whats legal is another.No one wants to be faced with the work it takes to do things legal but its the law with this situation.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
No one wants to be faced with the work it takes to do things legal but its the law with this situation.
I would call the Law on anyone that would do that, I dont care who it is.... Mother, Brother, Wife, even GOD.....

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wait a minute God wouldn't do those things so leave God out. Would you really call on your Mom or brother and wife.If you did call on your wife that might be the end. This is a tough call because it could border on the merit of a trouble maker some might say.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I really dont care what other would say.... You poach and not tagging the game you hunt is poaching, I will if I have proof of it would call the LAW... end of story

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I would put down the animal and tag it. Jim, I would probably do the same you did, however, I would have informed the division.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.