New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yup. I hunted the with bow Saturday evening. A few other guys out for squirrels though. I hunted the edge hoping they would push deer my way, but the only wildlife I saw were mosquitos.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I was always curious about that place - looks like a nice place with the fields and surrounding trees, but it seems so small that I have to believe it gets a lot of pressure with lots of hunters in so small a space. But I dunno, medfordguy would know since he's been there :) I only walked the place back in the spring to scope it out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's only approx. 240 acres. I attempted to hunt it Saturday morning, and when I pulled into the lot, there were 5 trucks already there. So I went back to bed and decided to hit it in the evening. This my first season hunting, so I dont know what the norm is, but every time I've been there I've encountered another hunter walking in/out or another hunter has walked under my stand (one actually stopped and tried to have a conversation).

Still trying to get my first deer. Came close last weekend. Two does came within 30 yards at about 7:05pm, but too dark for me to get a clean shot. Thrilling experience though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Medfordguy you do know you can bowhunt there Sunday also? I was going to try and make it up there this Sunday but forgot had family plans.might shoot up there for a afternoon hunt weds though.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Last time I was there pheasant hunting there were some stands in the woods. Did kick up some bedding deer in the fields. The strip of woods paralleling arc rd with the little trickle running through it has some deer trails. You just have to hope you at the right end at the right time. If you can park and come in from brace rd there are some nice spots even if they are close to the road.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes. It was on a Sunday evening when the two does I mentioned got within 30 yards of my stand. Thirty minutes earlier, someone walked under my stand. I let him know I was there, and he moved on quietly. The does moved in from the general direction from which he walked, so I'm guessing he pushed them my way. I couldn't hunt this past Sunday because of family obligations, but I totally plan to use football to my advantage and get out there while most guys are home on Sunday afternoons.

I usually hunt the oak stand by the power lines and on the border of the beagle club property. On Sat., there were two squirrel hunters there so I moved closer to brace road. Lot's of dogs barking and lots of gunfire - not surprised I didn't see any deer. On positive note, I bought thermacell and it worked great.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Are they still riding horses back near the power lines?
More so in the field around the tree "island" is the horse trail now. But yea it can get tricky at times. I usually encountered the "nature walkers" who weren't aware its hunting season. Uh huh sure you didn't.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've hunted here opening day pheasant for the past couple of years, but this year I think we're moving to some place a little less crowded! Though we will still hit it on Thanksgiving morning as its just too close to pass up.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I've hunted here opening day pheasant for the past couple of years, but this year I think we're moving to some place a little less crowded! Though we will still hit it on Thanksgiving morning as its just too close to pass up.
i might be out there thanksgiving morning myself,though not too early.i live 15-20 mins.from there,it's convenient.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
opening day morning at medford wma and black friday at walmart.....there is no difference
the only difference is at the wma they have guns

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
true vary true

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
that we know of [ninja]
true vary true
No. There are no guns at Walmart. Don't you know NJ has the strictest gun control laws in the country? You aren't allowed to carry guns by law, so there can't possibly be any guns in Walmart or anywhere else in NJ. Even the criminals don't have them.

At least, that's what the politicians tell me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts