New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I started butchering a lot more of my own deer, so I was thinking of taking the plunge and buying a meat grinder this year. A couple questions...

Any particular brands you recommend?
Any I should stay away from?
How big/small of a meat grinder can I realistically use? (I know this depends on how many deer I shoot, but do the smaller ones really do the job?
How difficult is it to use one to make sausage?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated as always!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Check on ebay.I have 3 of these grinders.I was VERY lucky to buy two of them at garage sales for $300 each and both are in brand new condition.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
i would highly suggest a cabelas grinder...high quality and will last a lifetime. i have a 1 horse commercial fleetwood grinder and i would put my 1- 1/2 horse cabelas up against it or any other grinder all day. if your starting out go for the 3/4 or 1 horse, that 1 horse will handle anything you throw at it and will not break the bank either. good luck man and as far as sausage making goes...find a sausage making book from "sausage maker", and stick to it! consistency is a big for me..i do the same thing everytime so each batch or link comes out the same. you'll figure it out..just gotta practice[up]

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
i would highly suggest a cabelas grinder...high quality and will last a lifetime. i have a 1 horse commercial fleetwood grinder and i would put my 1- 1/2 horse cabelas up against it or any other grinder all day.
I have the same one and it is great ,I can do a whole deer in minutes .I wouldnt buy any other

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
bass pro carries LEM grinders.
or just order from them.
i have used mine for 8 years now, still looks and works like it's brand new.
http://www.lemproducts.com/
i have the 1/3hp. it's plenty big enough. some years i'm running 12 deer through it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't suggest which grinder to use because I've only used the grinder attachment on my kitchen aide mixer
Same here
Does that work well? I have a kitchen aide, and I'd rather use that if it's worthwhile rather than buy a whole new grinder. How much meat do you both typically grind a year?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I like simple and for a few times a year making breakfast and Italian sausge and venison sausage I have a commercial grade hand grinder.

It's the largest Chop-Rite,a number 32 screw down. Chop Rite is the company that took over Enterprise.
Made in Harleysville, PA.
Enterprise has been making grinders since forever and you will find them in antique and flea markets everywhere and the parts are interchangeable.
It is solid cast iron and weighs about 40 lbs.
Mine will grind everything I need in a very short amount of time with very little effort.
http://www.chop-rite.com/Products.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts