New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a pretty uneventful morning and not hearing any Gobbleing at daybreak. I wasn't to hopefull in filling my remaining 'C' tag.
Then I checked out a field that has been holding birds during midmorning...Sure enough..Three jakes a LongBeard and some hens were there.
I parked my truck and circled around to the woods on the far side and set-up. After about the third series of calls I thought I heard a Gobble. 10 minutes past and I saw movement to my right. Sure enough, It was one of the Jakes, followed by the rest of the flock. They were just feeding along and occasionally the LongBeard would stop, raise his head and look my way. Once he got to forty yards,and I was ready to take a shot he started to walk straight at me. I let him get about 10 yards closer and sent a swarm of Hevishot his way. God I love it!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
[up] I had the complete opposite off what you had. Very eventful morning, no bird. Tag soup for c week[mad] Oh well. Congrats again, nice bird.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GG, How long do you waIT AFTER FLY DOWN TO MOVE IF THE BIRD DOESN'T SOUND OFF?
If nothing is happening at daybreak, I usually move on.
I've killed silent birds before, But they aren't as fun as the talkers!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
God I love it!
Yes you do, and we can tell :)
Congratulatiosns again Mike on another great bird [up]

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
A true talent will always excel! I am glad I am not an old long beard in any of the woods you hunt! Another good job Mike, Congrats![up][up][up][up][up][up][up]:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts