New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any tips on hunting here. I hunted yesterday but didnt see anything.Any tips on were to go.east or west? I set up on the east side becouse of all the pheasant hunters i saw going into the west.Also any fish in that pond on the east side of the park?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I use to run my coonhounds there in the late 80's/early 90's. It use to get some nice bucks spill over from Bennett's Orchards, which is been gone for years.
The thick laurels and briars off Ridge Rd, next to the Manasquan are tough hunting, but use to hold some good deer. I liked the piece between the Parkway and Allenwood -Lakewood Rd., if you can stand the Parkway noise, which got some Allaire deer spillover. As with all WMA land in that area, there's a lot of pressure and not easy hunting.
wherer abouts is this place
It's a small piece that runs east of the Garden State Parkway and west of the Manasquan River. It's mostly in Wall Twp., but runs into a small piece of Brick Twp.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Not sure if the lake is "Brisbane's", where the problem kid school is, not legal, part of the park, but huge bucks. If your talking about Osborn's Pond, just east of the police dept, it's private, but I'll give you odds, it's under 450ft. of any occupied dwelling(also Wall Intermiate School). There are locals, who have been hunting it since I was a squirt, but they are Harry Houdini experts.
Alliare Rd. runs all the way from Squankum and 195,(It dog legs just east of GSP) to Rt. 71 in Spring Lake.
Email me at my profile's email address, and I'll try and help ya out.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im getting realy pissed off here and im thinking about calling it quits for the year.hunted 5 days in a row and not a sighn of a deer.My aunt owns a farm on cambell road, off alair road and the woods behind the farm field are filled with deer and the guy wont let any one hunt there.so far for this season im 0-12 and Iam begining to hate what I once liked. Why cant any private land owners give a 15 year old a break?

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
When the going gets tough...The tough get going. Do your best to find the deer. In the off season talk to land owners and ask if you can hunt. The worst they can say is no.... Hunting should be fun, when it gets you aggrivated it is time to take a break and regroup. I have been in your shoes and can tell you your luck WILL cahnge for the better!!!!

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Have you gone up to them and asked. Try to get down to Grizz's on Rt 9 in Toms river. Gary the owner might be able to hook you up, he knows the areas and he might be willing to help you out.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only found one sighn on a deer in the area i hunt and that was one foot print in the mud of a creek bottom that must have happend the night befor i was hunting.With all the land for sale, i was thinking of calling the number and ask if i can hunt it,but im sure they will say no.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
you have to do a lot of scouting in mamasquan wma but the deer are their ps during the small game season its very hard in their cause the start to move in to home owners yards and move at night thats how come you see fresh tracks in the wma but no deer just my 2 cents i'd give it a try for winter bow now that small game is over they may start to move back in

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Hunted it for years..This piece was always hunted hard during small game and driven by clubs during the shotgun season...Look at the piece between Allenwood rd and the PArkway..There are a few nice transition zones as it drops towards the river. They will be pretty obvious..The piece off Ramshorn always has a few nice deer but they become nocturnal, you can still catch them early and late moving in and out of the cattails..The pond used to have b [no swearing please] in the 80s, havent fished it since but you can always fish the river for the searun browns...Good Luck..

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea i fish the river in alaire in the spring for trout and always do god with 5 or 6 trput in a hour,but i have tried hunting the piece off the field by the school, but looks like therer not entering the field either.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so wat part of the area do you think i should hunt the big piece of land rto the left were all the small game guys go, or to the right the pice of land between the wma road and atlantic ave.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hunt the area closest to the HGY 35 bridge (the north east side of the river) behind the housing development, there is access on the dead end next to the firehydrant

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
The entrance is on lorraine ct in Wall twp.Go down ramshorn dr. make a right toward the river on riverbluff lane then a right on birch pl then a left onto lorraine ct look for a fire hyrdrant thats where you go in to the woods, there are a lot of cattails but most of the deer are pushed down into that area and they have access to all the lawns and plants on people's property." Check it out" it is open to hunting as long as you observe the distance from homes.
Rich
www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts