New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this on courier news website.
Besides this guy acting like an idiot, the question i have is about the "possession of a rifle without an identification card" charge. Would he get this charge for not have an FID at all, or maybe because he didnt have it on him?

Branchburg police blotter

August 21, 2009

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF, 6:18 a.m. Aug. 8. Ryan Smith, 23, of Branchburg, was charged with criminal mischief, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and possession of a rifle without an identification card following an incident in White Oak Park on Baird Road.

Police were called to the park on a report of a man, later identified as Smith, shooting a rifle. Police determined that Smith was shooting at targets, Poland Springs bottles, with a pellet gun on the bleachers at a baseball field, according to an affidavit filed in Superior Court.

Police also have charged Smith with firing pellets at a metal door on a dugout at the field.

Central Jersey police departments

http://mycentraljersey.com/article/20090821/CRIME/90821008/1100/crime

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Would he get this charge for not have an FID at all, or maybe because he didnt have it on him?
Probably doesn't have one. they didn't think about the charge of discharging a firearm within city limits.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Technically you don't need an FID to posess a rifle onlty to purchase it. That is not to say they will not charge you with not having it. In this guy's case the prosicuter is probably going to throw everything he can at this idiot. If he is a convicted felon or a diagnosed nut then he has a real big problem and rightfully so.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
pellet gun rifle [wallmad],either way he is screwed

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah calling a pellet gun a rifle is a little ridiculous. I will never forget when i was younger i wanted a BB gun only to find out you needed a FID to get one in NJ. Even as a kid that didnt make sense to me.

This guy prob went to PA and bought it, and just though he could go shoot is somewhere and it would be fine.

Just the part that he shot the building door shows he is an idiot.

And the part about discharge in city limits, the park is in a suburban area. Really no place to hunt around it though, as most is developed. But some nice deer in that area.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
That was a stupid thing to do.....

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Hey that was home baseball field.:D Go back acouple of decades and that area was great hunting now its all developed:( What a nitwit[eyeroll]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts