New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The lottery numbers should be interesting. There has been a large number of moose deaths due to winter ticks this past spring. From what has been published, yearling moose have been hit extremally hard. Last year a total of 70 calves were collared for study and something like 60 have died due to tick infestation.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lottery numbers should be interesting. There has been a large number of moose deaths due to winter ticks this past spring. From what has been published, yearling moose have been hit extremally hard. Last year a total of 70 calves were collared for study and something like 60 have died due to tick infestation.
Looks light a slight increase in permits this year.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's good, maybe all the news is not bad after all.
I have heard about the ticks you mentioned and I know they take their toll.

We see a lot of moose every year in the area we deer hunt. Many more than deer, but it has always been that way since we started hunting there in 1990.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have heard about the ticks you mentioned and I know they take their toll.

We see a lot of moose every year in the area we deer hunt. Many more than deer, but it has always been that way since we started hunting there in 1990.
Hopefully you or someone in your group draws a tag. A freezer full of moose steaks is as good as it gets.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully you or someone in your group draws a tag. A freezer full of moose steaks is as good as it gets.
Thank you. My family drew in 2009, 2010, and 2017. There are 5 of us in every year, except for my son who is just in for a point, due to college and football. He wouldn't be able to go.
Pics of our 3 moose.
Hunting Plant Military camouflage Wood Tree
Plant Natural material Organism Terrestrial plant Deer

Plant Hunting Trophy hunting Smile Ratite

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Some nice animals there, congrats. Maybe this year?? You obviously have a good area, one nice thing about Maine is its close to home (not like going to the Yukon, Newfoundland or the other places) quite a bit cheaper too. Gas will be the straw that breaks everyone's bank account this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts