New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swampbuck and i were talking today about deer hunting in maine next year. Anyone on here ever use a guide service/outfitter in maine? pros? cons? deer? etc. Looking for details thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,559 Posts
cons the last 2 winters have been brutal on the deer herd in maine......... thats why you see lots of maine hunters in jersey for muzzy season along with 6 day shot gun. pro beautiful land very very big woods. DEER far and few .........

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
What i gatherd so far is that Arostook county to be one of the better ones. Looking for that "big woods" thing.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
thats why you see lots of maine hunters in jersey for muzzy season along with 6 day shot gun.
[rofl]

I personally bumped into around 250 Maine hunters on opening day alone and another several hundred the remainder of the week.

where do you hunt? I never even met someone from maine hunting in NJ.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I think what he means is that alot of guys from NJ that hunt Maine, have been staying home rather than spending the extra dollars.

At least I hope thats what he means. Cause I haven't seen alot of Maine pickup trucks around here looking for tiny deer.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
thats why you see lots of maine hunters in jersey for muzzy season along with 6 day shot gun.
I know what he is talking about, in my area we get quite a few hunters from Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. I have no idea if they are former NJ residents or not but every year they come here.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
If you must hunt Maine I would hunt Southern to Central areas. Stay away from Northern Maine. Winters hit the herd hard along with the yotes. Plenty of public land in those areas.

I know a few Mainers that come down here to hunt.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Aroostook County is remote...We hunted out of Patten, ME for many years. Point Camp on Grand Lake Seboeis and White Horse Lake. The Allagash Wilderness is very large. Even in good years you won't see high deer numbers, in fact probably more Moose than deer. But there are giant bucks that come from that region every year. I have not been up that way in probably 10 years now...

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
where do you hunt? I never even met someone from maine hunting in NJ.
I don't know where hunterdan hunts, but I will tell you, where I hunt, in zone 4 on public land, there are a ton of guys from maine that hunt the same spots as me. I see more guys from Maine than i do from ny or pa..

Cause I haven't seen alot of Maine pickup trucks around here looking for tiny deer.
check out zone 4 public land, you'll see lots of them. it doesn't make much sense to me either, but its true.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Northern Outdoors! Jim Yearwood runs a very nice camp, great facilities (cabins are top notch), food, guides, are great. hunted Maine for years, and the deer numbers are low to begin with, but worth the experience. 1 in our group shot a big, wide, heavy ten that made the Maine Big Bucks Club (+200lbs dressed) 217lbs dressed to be exact. Lots of Moose around.

really great place, comfortable camp, and affordable.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Camodan. How mant guys in camp and how many deer did u all see?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
No shit??!!
Thats nuts! wasnt aware
lol i know it sounds crazy. theres 1 guy i talk to all the time from maine. he said a lot of guys come from maine, vermont, and new hampshire to hunt jersey cause of the bag limits. he said if they kill deer in zone 4, they will than move on to hunt public land in unlimited zones, and bring a bunch of meat back home.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I have talked to the Maine and NH guys too in Z4. They come because of the season length and bag limits.
Dublelinger, I have heard the opposite, about the north as apposed to the south. Im aware of the herd numbers and we aqre not looking for a bargin either. Just want a change of scenery from the mid-west farm country is all. I enjoy hunting the "big woods" I hunted the Adirondacks for many years and enjoyed the challenge.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
i would try drawing a moose tag i know a guy that has a cabin in maine loads of grouse but deer hunting is tough but they a big

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
most people who go to maine go home dissapointed. nj hunters are too used to dumping corn on the ground and having 30 deer all around them. in maine u might only see 5 deer on a two week trip but one might be a monster. on one of my grandpas trips to maine he saw zero in two weeks and froze his ass every day. my grandpa decribed it as the time of his life. he enjoyed it.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hunting up in northern Maine the past 2 years have been tough to say the least.
I have taken 4 bucks in the past 7 years and worked hard to get them.
This year I will be headed back to my old haunts in the Ellsworth/Mariaville area.
Still plenty of deer in those areas compared to up north. My dad kills a buck every year in Mariaville near his place.
The Maine guides have seen a drastic drop in out of state deer hunters due to the deer kill of the past 2 winters and coyote predation in the deer yards. The state is finally getting off its butt and working on many programs such as protecting deer yards, importance of coyote control and supplemental feeding.
Hunters like Hal Blood(Cedar Ridge outfitters), R.G. Bernier and the Benoits do most of their deer hunting in Ontario now. Ontario offers what Maine used too.
I continue to hunt Maine for various reasons but mostly for my love of the big woods and solitude.
If I were to recommend a Maine deer hunt to you I would suggest one that is in central Maine. I know you stated that you hunted the Adirondaks so you pretty much have a good idea of what to expect.
If you want to hunt on your own I could show you areas on my maps to save you a lot of time and leg work.
Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions that I might be able to help you with.
Mike C.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Hunting up in northern Maine the past 2 years have been tough to say the least.
I have taken 4 bucks in the past 7 years and worked hard to get them.
4 deer out of 7 years up North is saying something. Those are great numbers.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Lung Buster, thanks for the compliment.
I spend countless hours looking at maps to find likely areas that would would hold pockets of deer. Then scout those areas while hunting and mark significant sign on my gps.
I do not claim to be an expert, far from it compared to some, I just know what works for me.
You might want to look at Hillside Guide Service for deer. Scott hunts in the Aurora area off of route 9.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts