New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this was asked before but what bullets, grain size, and powder combos do you guys use on your M/L. I bought a cva kodiak pro at cabelas with a buddy of mine, and we bought all different grain bullets from powerbelts to thompson sabots with the plastic sleeves. Do you guys prefer straight powder or the pellets?

Dennis

B

·
0 Posts
I use 2 50 grain pellets of pyrodex, with a 250 grain barns red hot sabot .50 cal Knight

B

·
0 Posts
I have an older Knight, and yes up to 100 grains only. I do hear from others and have read that 150 grains the round is unstabile

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
i have the black diamond...i use 2 50 grn pyrodex pellets and powerbelt 295 grn hollow tips....it shoots great

·
Registered
625 Posts
I shoot a T/C Black Diamond with (2) 50 Grain Pyrodex pellets and a 300 gr Shockwave bullet. Istruggled with accuracy until I found this combination.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to have to sneak out to the range sunday morning and test the 100 grains with a 295 grain powerbelt combo.

What distances did you guys test them at?

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
.54 CAL HERE... 2 60GR PYRODEX PELLETS AND 368GR POWER BELTS

I switched over from powder a few years back. I like the ease of the pellets

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've been shooting 2 Triple7 50 gr pellets under a 245 gr Powerbelt or Cheap Shot sabot. These are both pretty accurate at 50 yds. At 100 they spread out alot but that was before I scoped the gun. I just put a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5x4.5 on it. I am looking forward to see how it shoots at 100 with the scope. The gun is a TC Omega 50 cal. Black composite with stainless. I like it!!! Can't talk about performance on game yet but I hope to be able to tell you how it took down a doe during the week of Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I bought a cva kodiak pro at cabelas
I shoot the CVA Kodiak 50 Cal. Nickel barrel. My load is 150 grains pyorodex pellets, 295 gr. powerbelts hollow point/copper clad. The gun is incredibly tight at 100 yards with this load combo. [up]
Drome, go with the 150gr in this gun, that's what it's designed for and that's what shoots best out of it. I've shot at least 300 rounds out of this gun and that's the load that I found works best.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I shoot the CVA Kodiak 50 Cal. Nickel barrel. My load is 150 grains pyorodex pellets, 295 gr. powerbelts hollow point/copper clad. The gun is incredibly tight at 100 yards with this load combo.
Drome, go with the 150gr in this gun, that's what it's designed for and that's what shoots best out of it. I've shot at least 300 rounds out of this gun and that's the load that I found works best.
Believe it or not thats the first combo I used to set up the scope at the range. I couldnt believe the groups it was getting.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
240. gr. Hornaday XTP .44 cal jacketed hollowpoint pistol bullet.

Hornaday 1 piece plastic sabot

100 gr. Pyrodex.

off a bench with my old T/C Thunderhawk: 1 3/4 in @ 100 yds, 2 1/2 in. at 150 yds for a group of 3; with practice

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hey Drag,

I think I got the idea to try that load from you. I don't see a reason to change it. My 100 yard accuracy with open sights dropping off was totally due to my eyesight and shooting skills - not to mention a little flinch I had after shooting about 25 rounds. If the 50 yd accuracy is any indication and the 1 or 2 shoots I nailed at 100 show the potential - this is a 1 MOA setup with the right guy in the drivers seat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts