New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
actually its not my problem...its a friends....he shoots the encore 50 cal....pyrodex pellets and powerbelts....after his 2nd shot he has a VERY hard time seating the bullet...we tried everything...it just seems the 2 inches after the breech is getting really caked up....more than normall....the dirt coming out after removing the breech and running a pad through is pastey.....we cant figure it out...i shoot the same thing in a black diamond and have no roblems....any ideas?

B

·
0 Posts
I read somewhere and I don't remember where, about a problem somewhat like your friends, the writter stated he couldn't understand what was going on, and he contacted T/C, and they replaced the barrel. I'm not sure if it was the ENCORE or another model

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BHC if you happen to come accross this article in the near future can you please let me know where i can read it

·
Registered
876 Posts
First, the encore has a smaller bore diameter. Secondly, your buddy may be cleaning his gun with a petroleum based solvent which really adds to gun fouling since black powder and pyrodex stick to the residue left behind by petroleum based solvents like glue. You should only use non-petroleum based cleaners for muzzleloaders like TC #13 bore cleaner followed by a swab of bore butter for rust prevention.

Anyway, what your friends is getting is what's called a crud ring. It forms between the slug and the charge. It's a VERY common problem in muzzleloading.
All you have to do is run either a patch soaked in No.13 bore cleaner if at the range, followed by a dry patch or two. If in the field, just use a spit patch followed by a dry patch.
I do this in-between every shot. You should anyway, even if your not getting a crud ring just for improved accuracy.

There are other things out there to help reduce crud rean formation. One such item is called KleanShot primers, new from Remington. They burn finer than the convential shotgun primer and are more akin to rifle primers, they are said to reduce the formation of crud rings. They are all the rage right now in competition muzzleloading.

Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Try a combination of 50% alcohol and 50% of windex for your spit patches. Between each shot run a patch down with the solution followed by a dry patch. What ever method you choose to do just do it consistently.

followed by a swab of bore butter for rust prevention.
I disagree with this method. If you are shooting sabots or power belts which really are nothing more than modified sabots I can not see one reason to slop a perfectly good barrel with that messy crap. It's hard as a rock in cold weather and like soup in the heat. It stinks and in my opinion it does nothing to aid accuracy.
MMP makes all different diameter sabots to help the shooter match the projectile to the bore. A tight fit is important for imparting twist on the sabot/bullet combo. I would recommend measuring your buddy's Encore bore at the lands and selecting a bullet combo that fits snugly.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Crud ring is common especially with Triple Seven too.
Powerbelts are the easiest loading bullet out,it really must be crudded to have a hard time loading them.I can't imagine what would happen if he tried Horanady SST's,those things are super tight to load even under perfect conditions.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I disagree with this method. If you are shooting sabots or power belts which really are nothing more than modified sabots I can not see one reason to slop a perfectly good barrel with that messy crap. It's hard as a rock in cold weather and like soup in the heat. It stinks and in my opinion it does nothing to aid accuracy
Ummm if you read my post I said use bore butter for RUST PREVENTION. You could use CRISCO as well, bottom line is, when you store your gun it MUST have a rust preventative coating the barrell (that is NOT petroleum based) or you will get rust regardless how clean and dry your barrell may be! That's just a fact of life

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
There are so many better non-petroleum based lubricants available today I don't know why any one would use bore butter.
I've been using this product and its rust preventitive properties beat bore butter hands down. And guess what??? You don't have to get that crap all over your fingers... http://www.eezox.com/
Here's a quote from a guy who has tested more muzzleloading products than any of us...

The snake oil "Bore Butter" concoctions of various animal fats and wax are better off left where they came from--the pot of rotting miscellaneous flesh and animal carcasses bubbling at your local rendering plant. The idea that your modern steel barrel can be seasoned like a cast iron skillet has no basis unless your barrel is also cast iron and you cook pizzas in it regularly. Some of the earlier lubricants were outstanding, like sperm whale oil. Bear grease and bacon drippings were never good, but when that's all you have, that's the best you can do.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'll give that stuff a look, but honestly I haven't had any problems with the bore butter either and I've been using it for at least 15 years. I'm reluctant to try new products, as they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Stealthy give the eezox a serious look. A buddy of mine did a test using nails as the test medium and ocean water for its corrosive properties. The nails coated with the eezox looked the same when they came out of the test as when they went into the salt water
days earlier. It has pleasant smell it dries to the touch quickly. I am reluctant to try new products until they really exhibit a distinct advantage

·
Registered
751 Posts
I find that with 777 pellets I get crud ring but it's not anything that a single spit patch can't cure and it won't stop me from loading a second or third shot even without a patch. I use Powerbelts or Cheap Shot sabots in my Omega. I don't really care for Bore Butter but I use it when I put the gun away for rust prevention. I'll try that other stuff - thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Oh yea. One question. One thing I don't like is cleaning the BB out of the gun before I shoot it. It cakes up on the rifling so much I feel you need to get it out of there before shooting.

Do you BB users clean it out of the barrel before shooting? Do you need to clean the eezox out before shooting.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Do you need to clean the eezox out before shooting.
I don't. I simply discount the first shot out of a thouroughly cleaned barrel. The first shot is my fouling shot and then I begin shooting for accuray/load testing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts