New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got back from the doctor and it is official, i have Lyme disease. This really sucks big time. It is not that I am totally useless now but I constantly feel run down and my joints are so sore. Guys please check yourselves everytime you get out and get home from the woods. Continue this even into the cold weather. You'd be surprised at how many ticks are still around in Nov. December. My old neighbor used to do reasearch on ticks and Lyme disease here in NJ and he has showed me the ticks he's found late in the year. A few warning symptoms to look out for are the obvious bullseye bite mark, aching joints, a low fever, nausea/upset stomach, and feeling rundown day after day. Well I'm going to try and push through this the best i can and get out as much as possible when I don't feel like total crap. Im not gonna let this little bug keep me out of the woods this season. Again be careful and always do a scan of ur body when you get home.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
MS22 sorry to hear this. I hope everything works out and goes OK.
Was it caught in the early stages?
What is involved in treating this?

The more we know will help us all here.

Hope you get well quick!
:)

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JJoe. I guess it was caught somewhat early...Basically the only treatment that I know of is loading up with an antibiotic called Doxycycline. It is a month long prescription. From what I gather from the Doctor is that the Lyme disease never leaves your body even after treatment. He said it just goes dormant. He said that I should be feeling better within the next few weeks. Hopefully that is true.

G

·
Man, I'm so sorry to hear that you have Lyme, wishing you the best, but I see your already one step ahead of it, you won't give up and won't allow it to take over you...wishing you the very best[up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
MS22, it does suck. But you did catch it early. I had it about 9 years ago. I never got the bullseye rash. Doctors didn't want to test because of no rash. I was on meds for about a month. I have felt great ever since.
I know people that caught it late and have all sorts of problems. From joint ache to kidney problems.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
A co-workers wife had Lymes. She did feel alot better after the antibiotics. No problems since then..This was 7 years ago. You'll be ok.[up]

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
My bro had it . They caught it early also. He was on Meds for about 6 weeks. I think I was born with lyme disease, cause I'm always feeling run down. LOL

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
MS22 sorry to hear about your findings. I have blood work done every year in December. I always tell the DR. to check for Lyme. Last year I found a tick in November under my left Breast, thank God nothing came of it.
Guys have your Dr. order blood work for Lyme every year. Sometimes you get a tick and the syptoms won't show up till much much later.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Mike everyone in Gentry has it at least once LOL I had it this year for the 1st time. My wife has had it twice. Remember the campbells across the street from you? She had it real bad. She was on an IV for over a year.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Those antibiotics over a month long period will probably cause you to spend alot of time in the JOHN [sad]
They got to me that way when I was treated for lymes. If it does get to you, eat yogurt it puts the bacteria back in your system that you need.
Good luck !

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
man, that little bug scares the crap out of me. you guys should try this stuff called duranone or permanone. i used it in long island for years and never had a tick on my skin. you spray this stuff on your cloths and let it dry. my buddies use it also and never had a problem. and when it dries it has no odor. i arrowed 3 deer while wearing this stuff.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
My father had it twice. he wound up ok. usually after a few weeks on the antibiotics you will feel better.

Now quit yer whining...:D

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
i'm not about to try it, need some more testing for me........LOL i dont know anyone who had the vaccine.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I possiby had it two years ago. The test came back negitive , but the test is only 90% accurate. I was also on heavy medication at the time for another malady I have.

I had what they call Bells Palsey, that is, the side of my face was paralized. At first I thought it was a stroke. Bells Palsey is a commmon symtom of Lyme. When I went to my doctor he called it off the Bells Palsey because he knows I hunt.

There was the possibility that the other medication I was on lowered my resistance allowing the chicken pox virus to come out causing the paralisis so they treated me for both. Heavy antibiotics for 8 weeks and an anti viral for the other thing.

I did have the bullseye rash, but it was in December so I did'nt think it was Lyme. The Bells
Palsey occured in March.

I am now real careful and wear BugSkinz or RhinoSkin when I go afield.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Anyone every try the vaccine.
Thought that wasn't FDA approved yet. Thought it was still in the testing phases.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
MS-22 -

Sorry to hear that you got Lymes, but you should be OK.

If caught in the early stages (Stage 1) the antibiotics usually will make you feel better in a few weeks.

I was infected in 1996. I also never had the bullseye rash. The antibiotics worked, and I feel fine to date.

From what I gather from the Doctor is that the Lyme disease never leaves your body even after treatment. He said it just goes dormant.
This is true. Lymes is kinda' like Malaria in that it remains in your system in remission for the rest of your life.

The one thing to be careful of is that you do not get re-infected with another tick bite (ask your Dr. about this).

You can be re-infected and will have to go through the treatments again. If you start feeling the same symptoms, get tested again for it.

I get tested at the end of March every year (I give time for the "infection" to manifiest and show itself)for Lymes just to assure that it is in remission and not active (from re-infection) - the test will show negative results every year, and after having had successful antibiotic treatments after the first time, but will show positive if re-infected.

The following link to the CDC Lymes Publication is excellent and states that in most cases it takes the tick 36 - 48 hours of being attached to you before the disease can be transmitted!!!

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/lyme_brochure.pdf

Anyone every try the vaccine.
The vaccine was out many years ago - The FDA approved it very quickly back in the 90's due to almost epidemic cases of Lymes disease popping up.

Then NJ Gov. Whitman even came up with a protocol that mandated that Dr.'s all follow the same methods for testing, diagnosing and treating Lymes patients in NJ.

I asked my Dr. a question, but I never got an answer concerning, "Can you get the vaccine if you've previously been infected, and if so, what are any potential side effects?". It's something to think about!!!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Lyme.

On a side note, every time I get bitten by a tick, I tell the doctor to give me the antibiotic anyway and the always do. It won't hurt you and you can be 100% sure that you have it in the early stages.

You should be OK, especially by the time hunting season REALLY KICKS IN![up]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts