New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just pulled my 2 cam chips & had 5 different bucks that lost bone already :( 3 had 1/2 racks & i have had these deer on the cams before with full racks.. also had 2 bucks that dropped both sides already.. never seen so many lose their antlers this early [wallmad]

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My buddy killed a 8 pt last night and when we were dragging him out the left side popped right off. It was pretty funny when he fell to the ground holding the antler

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Not surprising in zone 3 where the herd is in decent balance. If all/most of the does in that area were bred in the first rut, there's no reason for the bucks to hold bone any longer. I'm in zone 8 where I live with far too many does running around our back yards out of safe hunting areas, and our bucks are still very much on the chase and holding antlers.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
my zone 8 spots have bucks shedding already hopefully when i get out friday ill see one with antlers

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Poor acorn years usually causes this to happen, also a hard rut and the bucks are done. Friend saw 2 bucks in Rockland CO., NY already shed last week.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Just getting them ready for the JAN "antlerless" season. Will be watching all the posts next year about lack of bucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts