New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else having a great year for trout? This year has been superb for me so far. I havent gotten out a lot, but I have caught a ton of fish. Thing is, none of them are small. The majority of the fish Im catching are 15-17". With four going about 19-1/2".

Normally I catch and release, infact I havent kept a fish ever, even though a lot of them would have made some nice meals. Well that all ended last night. I caught a nice sized rainbow and had to keep him.

4 lbs
18-3/4"
I didnt measure the girth, but I couldnt even palm the fish. He might not be the biggest fish I catch, but man what a fight. I wish I had a camera at the river, I would have taken some pics and let him go...but Ive decided to get a replica made, and eat him....should make a good meal, its like a basketball with fins!:D:)

Hope you guys are having as much fun trout fishing as I am![up]

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i've been having a good year too. look at my post "trouting". what river have you been fishing?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've been having an outstanding year!!!!

There's a lot more bigger fish this year, and the Rainbows that they're stocking are serious scrappers on ultralights.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang, so there goes my theory that Im becoming a better trout fisherman. :D

Wonder why everyone is doing better with a lot more big fish???? Not that Im complaining, its GREAT!!!

My little brothers love it...not only are we catching a lot of trout, but they are all pretty dang big!

Caught that fish in the Rockaway river. I also have fished the S. Branch Raritan, Paulinskill and Black Rivers this year. I want to get up to Flatbrook too.

Good luck guys!---Matt:)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Im super busy. New job, and trying to start my own business. Time to do the fun stuff is limited. So computer time gets cut down even more.

I had a decent week of turkey (1A). Couldnt get the birds to gobble, but I knew where they were. Called a silent tom in on the first day around 8am. He got to about 30 yards and I clanked my release aid on my cable guard and bang zoom, away he went. Beautiful bird too... Its a darn shame.

Called in a couple of hens and finally three jakes on Wednesday. I missed a head shot at the biggest jake with about a 6" beard. 20 yard shot...It was dang close but my arrow just barely whizzed by his head. I didnt really want to shoot him, so I figured IF I can hit him in the head then its meant to be....if not....oh well theres always tomorrow.

Unfortunately I got really sick and missed both Thursday and Friday. I dont know if I will buy another permit, I may only get a day or two out of it, but man its so much fun to call the birds in. Theres always my PA tag if I really need to go.

Good luck with the birds and the fish Jim.:)

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've only been out once (opening day) but did ok... I got 4... and that was 4 more than most guys I saw. I may get out to flatbrook this friday after work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts