New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'M REALLY TICKED OFF!!![mad]

I GOT HOME SUNDAY NIGHT FROM BEING OUT AT MY HUNTING CLUBS ALL WEEKEND TO FIND THIS HORRID STENCH COMING FROM MY GARAGE!!!

I OPENED THE DOOR TO FIND THAT THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF MY STAND UP FREEZER HAD BEEN COMPLETELY THAWED AND THAT THE FREEZER HAD DIED (PROBABLY THE MIDDLE OF LAST WEEK).

I LOST DOZENS OF VACUUM PACKED TROUT, VENISON, A 24# DOMESTIC TURKEY, A SPIRAL HONEY HAM, HOMEMADE STUFFED CLAMS, READY TO COOK HOMEMADE GARLIC CRABS, FLUKE, STRIPED BASS, WEAKFISH, KINGFISH, OCTOPUS, FRESH BYCATCH SCUNGILLI, STORE BOUGHT RABBIT, VACUUM PACKED FRESH CAUGHT BIGEYE TUNA AND DOLPHIN STEAKS, FRESH CAUGHT SEA BASS, etc...

I'M GONNA BE SPENDING THE REST OF TONITE (AFTER WORK) TOSSING THE REST OF THE MEAT, AND CLEANING OUT MY GARAGE AND THE FREEZER.

THAT WAS MOST OF MY MEALS FOR LUNCHES AND DINNERS AT THE HUNTING CAMP AND AT HOME FOR THE NEXT TWO MONTHS!!!

LOOKS LIKE I'M GONNA HAVE TO BREAK OUT THE FISHING ROD, AGAIN, AND GO TREADING CLAMS IN MY WETSUIT TO RE-STOCK MY SUPPLIES BEFORE ICE OVER!!!

AT LEAST I HAVE SOME FRESH FROZEN TUNA AND MAHI MAHI STEAKS, VENISON BACKSTRAPS & STEW MEAT, AND A FEW GARLIC CRABS IN THE FREEZER IN MY HOUSE TO GET ME BY FOR A WHILE.

I HATE TO HAVE TO GO OUT AND BUY MAIN COURSES AT THE STORE WHEN I ALWAYS HARVEST ALMOST EVERYTHING THAT I EAT!!!! I HAVEN'T BEEN FOOD SHOPPING IN APPROX. 3 1/2 MONTHS!!!

OH, WELL - ANYONE HAVE A SPARE STAND UP FREEZER THAT THEY'RE WILLING TO PART WITH FOR A FEW DOLLARS?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Sorry to hear about that - I guess that vacuum sealer is worth the dough.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
that sucks Jon,

your neighbors must love you right now.

if you need some venison let me know.

·
Registered
546 Posts
That really stinks! We lost all our deer meat and several turkeys and various other things last year because ours got unplugged (by the kids). I guess our good point was we still had the freezer, but it's a pain in the butt to get that smell out of there!

Good luck on your restocking!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I just lost my entire contents of my stumoch reading this:p

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
sorry JT,the same thing happend to me over the summer. lost all my trout plus a little deer meat left over for some grilling[sad]

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
that definitely was NOT the smell of maple syrup wafting over manhatten last week:D

sorry to hear about that. sounds like some good food going to waste.

too bad it wasn't bear season. that's what i'd call bear bait!

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
That literally stinks![down] Had that happen to me a long time ago JT...It happened during the summer..I don't think I'll ever forget that smell.

Only up side is you get to fill again doing what you like to do.[up]

·
Registered
432 Posts
Outlaw, my wife works for an insurance company and she saids that thw contents inside the freezer are covered but the actual freezer is not. (minus ur deductible)

You should look into it thats why we pay them every year

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That sucks, I know how it feels I had that happen to me two yrs ago with my chest freezer the outlet in my garage went south. I was doing breaks on my truck and smelled something in the garage went passed my freezer opened it and whoaaaa.it was full of smell and 2in of moosh. lost 2 deer and a 6pt waiting to go to the taxadermist.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks IMB and Woj for the offers, but like it was stated above:

Only up side is you get to fill again doing what you like to do.
As the definition goes, VEGETARIAN: an unsuccessful hunter and fisherman!!!

Now Woj - Do I look like a VEGETARIAN?!?!?!?!? :D:p

I do have some Venison and fish vacuum packed in the freezer in the house, but to think of the hours spent harvesting, prepping, and vacuum packing all of that food just to have it go to waste makes me sick to my stomach - And, I'm sure the smell of the items that weren't vacuum packed will be really SPECIAL tonite - Gonna wear my Helly Hansen foul weather gear and hose myself down afterwards!!!

Sorry Woj - No video will be shot of me hosin' myself down after cleanin' up!!!:D:D:D[smirk]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Swiper1 -

Unfortunately most of the food items were either caught/harvested by myself or friends, so there's no receipts for the majority of the stuff. The insurance claim is out of the question.

I'm just gonna have to "eat" the loss, and get out there and fill up a new freezer when I get one, and in the interim, see who in my family and hunting clubs has additonal freezer space to loan me until then. [up]

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I'm just gonna have to "eat" the loss,
So what are you complaining for.:D

In all seriousness, sorry to hear about your loss. A few years ago my daughter left the freezer locked in the open position. The motor ran most of the knoght turning the freezer into an oven. Since then I put an an additional hasp on the door. Once again sorry about that, but atleast it happened in the beginning of the season and not the end, when it would have really been packed.[sad]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
That sucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts