New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, about an hour ago I wake up to hear a rukus in my side yard. The chickens are frantically going crazy. I immediately yell, "SOMETHING'S AFTER THE CHICKENS !!!" as I jump out of bed and start heading down the stairs. I was the first to get to the side yard, totally unarmed in the dark, Mike followed with a baseball bat. It took Matt about 10 minutes to find ANY working flashlights and my side yard has no lights in it, but it is fenced in, so whatever got to the chickens either went over or under the fence. Matt did not lock them in their coop tonight as he is supposed to do each night. GRRRRR !!! Only found a small opening under the fence, but no scratch marks or scuffed up area. Whatever it was, it was quick. Not much left of her, but I lost one a few days ago also, but to other causes, so now I am left with only two Layers. Does anyone know where I can get several Layers this time of the year? Oh, also had the motor in my washing machine kick the bucket today too. AND, I put a new site on my bow a few days ago and when I went to try to sight it in today, I couldn't find the right size allen wrench to adjust the pins. Ever have one of those days when you should have just stayed under the covers and let the day just pass you by ? ? ?

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Welp....
You can rule out an Owl, Mink or Weasel right away.
A RedFox is a snatch and run type of hen house raider. Coyote behavior varies, but you stated that it was a small opening under the fence, So wiley coyote may or may not be the culprit. Probably Not.
I doubt it was a bear, unless there is some damage to the fence. My quess would be, ****, Bobcat or GreyFox.... Racoon is the number one suspect...
The good news is...They are easy to catch in Box traps.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Sorry you lost a few Robin.[sad] I'd go with what GG says[up]

They are easy to catch in Box traps.
[up]

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Man that stinks and sorry you lost the chicken. Time to set up a camera to see who the murderer is[confused] Hope you don't lose anymore.

Shoot Straight!

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
sorry to hear that robin[sad]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to pick up two mature Layers ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
when i lived in bethelem twp i had troubles with *****. they will kill for the fun of it, until you kill him. as for bird relacement i could hook you up but im down here in north carolina.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Still wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to pick up two mature Layers ?
Why does Ménage à trois come to mind.[rofl]
That chicken looks choked beyond recognition.[sad]
In all seriousness sorry for your loss and hope you catch the culprit. Good luck with the "ahem" layers".[patcheye]

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Sounds like a **** and you'd better catch it soon. My neighbors had the same problem over the years and if they didn't ask me to catch it soon enough, it kept coming back and killing their egg layers. If you have a rooster, he'll typically protect them even from *****, but if not the ***** will keep coming back until the hens are all gone:(

·
Registered
10,660 Posts
If you're heading to the Hackettstown livestock auction, poultry starts selling at 1:30 pm.

225 W Stiger St, Hackettstown - (908) 852-0444

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.