New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my season is over. Back in Sept I passed out while driving, went through a couple concrete filled poles & wrecked my truck. Luckily none else was involved. I had no idea what happened until after the accident when I came through somehow. I went to the hospital & it looks like my heart had stopped. So here i am for the last month & half hooked up to heart monitors & defibrillators (also called a Life Vest)... No driving, no hunting, nothing to raise my heart rate…need to see if I have any more arrhythmias or episodes. Further testing & it looks like one of my valves is a little messed up in the ol' ticker (either its genetic or damage from sleep apnea). Not only that,when my heart rate drops , my heart doesn't counter react , so instead of speeding up it keeps going until it stops. How did I find this out…. from one of the test that was done.. I flat lined for about 12-15 seconds before they brought me back. …Looks like I have to go the Pacemaker route.

Went up for a 2nd opinion last week & thank God I did. After talking with the new doctor we decided on getting a heart monitor implanted in my chest instead of a pacemaker. (The operation was scheduled for today)…He then ordered me to get a MRI….went back home & realized I already had the MRI done when I was first admitted (I have had so many tests it's hard to remember what was done). The 1st hospital sends the results from the MRI (which wasn't sent w/ all the other test results) to the new doctor. I get a call yesterday saying we have to reschedule & you need to see a Neurologist right away, we can't operate until you get cleared from them.

Well it seems like I had a minor aneurysm. The 1st neurologist never let me know!!! Again, Thank god for a 2nd opinion! The bad part is I had a major aneurysm about 22 years ago & I'm lucky to be alive…..This is something I let every doctor aware of. Well, after I get everything taken care of I will have to take it easy for a while, no driving for 3 more months & no guns or bow for 6 months.

Im glad I was able to to put 2 in the freezer before all this happened.

So, Good Luck to all of you. I look forward to reading your stories & seeing the pics!

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Sorry to hear

good luck in your recovery.
the good thing is heart work is probably one of the best practiced surgery there is
my dad had A lot of work done in 1996 including a defibrillator .
he has been trouble free since then and enjoys shooting clays and fishing as much as he ever has

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Ya need anything u know where to call bud. Fell better. The docs will take good care of ya.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Try and hang in there. Will you be able to hunt next year? This sound all too familiar bc my dad and gramps went through the samething. It happens but You'll be OK man. Just take it easy and Keep us posted on how you're doing. Let us know if you need anything.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My father had the same exact thing happen. 20 years ago he had an attack that almost killed him and then since then had a few episodes like you described one of which resulted in a car accident and thank god no one was hurt. He had the surgery that you speek of almost 10 years ago now and has not had a problem since. He goes in twice a year and they check the pacemaker and it tells them how many times it had to speed up his heart and he is always surprised because he never feels anything but it usually is like 10 times a year he would have had an attack or aneurism. He also had some incidents that he wouldn't pass out but kind if check out for a bit. Didn't know where he was or how he got there. And they called those auras. It was scary stuff bc we thought it was the beginning of Alzheimer's but it wasn't. It just happens when the brain is starved for oxygen and blood. So I'm glad you are ok and he was back driving and playing golf and everything in no more than 3 or 4 months after the surgery. The surgery itself was a cake walk he said they just keep you limited to make sure things are dialed in properly for a bit. Best of luck.

·
Registered
793 Posts
God speed for a quick recovery. There will be still be deer next year. Get well.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
So sorry to hear that happened to you. If you run low on meat shoot me a message and I'll be happy to split my next deer with you. Speedy recovery!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Geezzus , man i hope u get well. You have a lot going on , but with a little prayer and technoligy , you will come out stronger than ever and one day hunt again good luck....stay strong

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
All the best to you, Rich. It is never easy when your health goes a little south. We are fortunate to have some great advances in medicine. Hopefully, you will be back at it in no time.

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
Im glad I was able to to put 2 in the freezer before all this happened.
Glad to hear you found the cause of your problem before it was you they were putting in cold storage.

Get well soon, the woods 'll be waiting for ya. [up]

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Same with my Mom last year, she would just pass out, thankfully never behind the wheel. They put in a pacemaker and all seems to be good now.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts