·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything out there that I could use ?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Go to your site at different times of the day. Look at the position of the sun. Write down or mark it between east and south for a summer plot and south and west for a winter plot. Clear some limbs or brush according to your plot season. I have about 12 small plots 25'x25' to 75'x250'. All hunting plots, little effort about 25 hours each per year. Not the best, but better then most.

Till our trails cross,

Ryan

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys.I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wild which email did you send to?? its not at my work email?

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
You can also use natural stuff, like honeysuckel, grass, brows. also do a soil sample. If you have acorn trees ( there are differents one, this goes for all of them ) put in tree food spiks, throw in some wild flowers. there is more to a food plot then what the componyies have to sell.

·
3,413 Posts
You can also use natural stuff, like honeysuckel, grass, brows. also do a soil sample. If you have acorn trees ( there are differents one, this goes for all of them ) put in tree food spiks, throw in some wild flowers. there is more to a food plot then what the componyies have to sell.
Mystic brings up a good point here. Fertilize what you already have. Pick out a few white oaks and fertilize them, the acorn mast will be larger (more) and supposedly taste better (never tried one though). The deer will find these trees, and you can hunt them.

1. Take a 2" round 3' long piece of PVC pipe and drive it 2' into the ground.

2. Remove pipe & fill hole with fertilizer.

3. Repeat about 4 x's per tree.

Also, as Mystic siad, if you have Honeysuckle fertilize it!

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The area I hunt is really shady ecspecially in the summer and early fall. Not to mention very rocky so I think I'm pretty limited to what I can plant.I have another area right next to a creek bottom in a gully. I bet the soil is much better there but the light is still not so great.I will attemt to take a soil sample. Not to sound stupid but where can I find a soil tester?and how do i read the sample once I take it?

·
3,413 Posts
where can I find a soil tester
You can get them from Home Depot or Lowes. They will explain how to read and interpit them. I use them for my Rose bushes all the time.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
SRB..... do you have a pic of the area.. a typo-map and/or aireo-photo I can find a better spot for you. Also can you get permition to cut 1 or 2 trees down? honeysuckle don't need a lot of light, but the more the better. If you can cut 1 trees let that be the one in the middle of a area the has a lot of light already. Also you have to clean the ground... rack it realy good, make your cleand up piles big on all four sideshave the openings like the corners. This help to make the deer walk where you want them to be for a great shot. I would also just hunt it in the afternoon/early evening, why? because the deer will be in there eat in the morning. ( if you know where there bedding is and know the way to it, cut them off in the morning ) Try WhiteTail Institutes "NO-PLOW". any other help I can give just let me know.

use to work on a ranch in Texas doing deer management ( food plots, checking heird size and doe's, buck's, fawn's. and some guideing )

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bacs i will get one tommorrow.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mystic I will take a pic of the area some time this week. I have been hunting this area with pop for 20 years I like to hunt real thick areas and the area up top on the ridge line is approx 70 yards off a powerline its a very small area I have to work with. because of the thick cover I may only get a small plot it so it may not be worth it. The area down below by the greek may be better it is low light but it does get filtered light through out the day.
Thanks for your help ..It is very much appreciated

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
how big around the powerlines? you might even have a nice place there for a foodplot. take many pics mostly from your stand/blind (all stands/blinds)I know your stand might not be still up but take pics anyway.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mystic,the powerlines are so thick there is no way I could never plant anything.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I had a plot saver and they are junk. Unless, you have an already established field that you are taking over. To much stuff on one piece of equipment.
You can rent them from Harry's Army & Navy. I wouldn't. Just my two pennies. If you use an atv at least 350cc just break ground (virgin) with a disc harrow. Add weight as this ground is virgin. In wooded cleared spots there will be plenty of root vines below the surface which will probable stop a non 4x4 in its tracks. I will be trying to resend the e-mail to you later tonite.

Till our trails cross,
Ryan

PS When a man says he has experience,he has made many mistakes. I have real experience. It's cost me tons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts