New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looking to breed my 3 year old female Brittany Spaniel. Any one interested please email me at [email protected].
Just wanted to mention that the DeVal Brittany club is holding a field trial this coming weekend at the English Setter Club in Medford; Some of the best Brittany field dog breeders and some of the best dogs in the Middle Atlantic area will be there.. You might see something you like. You might even meet someone. who likes your dog's pedigree enough to want to look into it. If you go, leave your dog home, but bring the papers and some pictures. Wear hunting or hiking boot and comfortable walking clothing.

There will be dogs there that can run into the next zip code if that is what you are looking for in a sire. You will typically see this type of dog in and All Age stake. There will also be dogs that handle and hunt at more "comfortable' ranges and these will typically be entered in Gun Dog stakes. Both of these stakes are for dogs that are steady to wing and shot. There will also be Derby stakes for dogs that are under two years old that are not required to be steady to wing and shot.

I am a pointer person myself, and I will be there running a puppy on Saturday, but there will be a significant Brittany presence I am sure. Hope you can come and watch some of it. I promise you will see some nice dogs and meet some nice folks.

As far as stud fees are concerned, I have no idea what prices Brittany stud dogs command, but the folks there will know.

RayG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to mention that the DeVal Brittany club is holding a field trial this coming weekend at the English Setter Club in Medford; Some of the best Brittany field dog breeders and some of the best dogs in the Middle Atlantic area will be there.. You might see something you like. You might even meet someone. who likes your dog's pedigree enough to want to look into it. If you go, leave your dog home, but bring the papers and some pictures. Wear hunting or hiking boot and comfortable walking clothing.

There will be dogs there that can run into the next zip code if that is what you are looking for in a sire. You will typically see this type of dog in and All Age stake. There will also be dogs that handle and hunt at more "comfortable' ranges and these will typically be entered in Gun Dog stakes. Both of these stakes are for dogs that are steady to wing and shot. There will also be Derby stakes for dogs that are under two years old that are not required to be steady to wing and shot.

I am a pointer person myself, and I will be there running a puppy on Saturday, but there will be a significant Brittany presence I am sure. Hope you can come and watch some of it. I promise you will see some nice dogs and meet some nice folks.

As far as stud fees are concerned, I have no idea what prices Brittany stud dogs command, but the folks there will know.

RayG
Ok. Thanks for the info.

John

·
Registered
140 Posts
Brucellosis will absolutely cause the infected dog to go sterile. The most important test prior to breeding for me would be a negative brucellosis test on the both dogs immediately prior to breeding.. The other stuff is valuable, but not definitive. OFA/PennHip clearances, Cerf(eye) clearances and such are indicators of the health of the animal, but do not guarantee that all of the pups will be free of those defects. Testing of multiple generations BEGINS to have levels of assurance rregarding the genetic defect being tested for, but it still is not a guarantee.

RayG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts