New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a requirement to carry your NJ purchasers ID card while hunting or traveling to hunt? I was asked this by a municipal police officer while hunting saturday afternoon. I have one, with an old address, but haven't carried for 15 years. After that it turned out to be a good hunt, dropped a couple birds.

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
Legally the only thing required for transporting a firearm while hunting is a valid NJ Hunting License.

How ever being this is NJ I carry my FPID card in my wallet when ever I'm transporting a firearm whether for hunting or just clock some range time.
Why take the chance of a legal battle if you can just show them the card and it puts them at ease.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I carry mine, too. No conservation officer has ever asked for it and I have been stopped about 7-8 times. Can't be sure if a local police officer, they might not know the rules.

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
No conservation officer has ever asked for it and I have been stopped about 7-8 times
Same here, several time over the year on state and federal land. They ask if they can check to make sure the gun is cased and then usually just ask for my drivers license, reg, ins card and hunting license.
Usually happens when I'm either loading or transporting a deer to the check station, but it also happened once in Swartswood during the first week of turkey season. They pulled me over, ask if I was hunting said do I have a problem if they conduct a spot check and then checked everything even the plug in the gun, never ask for or mention anything about a FPID card, I believe the officer was actually training a partner he had with him.

·
Registered
138 Posts
FPID Card not needed in the field, but i carry mine anyway for similar reasons above + if anti's (meaning some nosey neighbor's) see you carrying to and from vehicle a phone call to the pOlice is bound to happen.

Why take the chance of a legal battle if you can just show them the card and it puts them at ease. [up][up]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I'll just update and carry. Never been checked by a CO there, but its a high vis. roadway that I walk in from. Usually the police check the vehicle to make sure I didn't break down, see the gun case and sign on the dash that says "duck hunting" and figure it out. My friend and I had to walk back to the highway after shooting a couple birds to sort it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts