New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I did write an intro yesterday in the newcomers forum, I have included it in this post too so you don’t have to go looking for it. It contains info that is pertinent to this post. In essence I am hoping there are some friendly hunters out there that would not mind taking me under their wing (so to speak) to teach me the ropes here in the US. As my intro post mentions, all of my hunting experience is in the UK where we don’t have bears, snakes and bobcats to contend with.

Personally thinking, I would let myself down and the quarry I want to hunt and cleanly kill if I just started walking through the forest with my new rifle (when I get it) without any kind of introduction to hunting in the US, what to look out for, when to shoot, when not to shoot, what signs of danger to look out for. It’s all going to be completely different to England.

So getting back to the first paragraph I would love to hook up with some of you that are local to me so I can learn from you. I am interested in all types of hunting, Rifle, Bow I’d be very interested in learning how to trap too, we can’t do that easily in the UK. Anything you can teach me or show me I will soak up. I know in the UK people are wary of requests like this. They automatically think that you want to steal their land, or their secret spots, I can say 100% that is not the case here, I just want to learn.

Hopefully there might be a few of you that can help me out.

Great Site By The Way!

Initial Introduction Post

Hello everyone, my name is Lee, i am 42 and live in North Bergen County. I have been hunting for the last 20 years, all my hunting experience has been in the UK as the UK is my home country. 2 years ago myself and my family moved to the US with my job and it’s the best thing we ever did. I love this country, I love the wildlife, I love the outdoors is right on my doorstep and it suits my lifestyle. I fish, I kayak and I love photography. I also love hunting but have been unable to do so because of my visa restrictions. In a couple of months’ time I will legally be able to purchase firearms. I have completed the NJ hunters course online and will be booking the final part of the course soon. My documents are with my local PD so when i get my green card I they can submit my application.

In the UK the laws are a little different with regards what you can shoot and when and with what. as you all probably know we don't allow hand guns in the UK. I am completely at home with rifles and shotties and consider myself to be a good shot and huntsman. I am very safety conscious, this is drummed into you my the UK firearms police at a very early stage. Our game is small in the UK. I guess I must have shot well over 10,000 rabbits and over 500 foxes. The way in which you get land in the UK generally means you do vermin control for farmers. There are no hunting seasons for vermin, you can shoot whatever you want. If it’s on the ground I can pretty much guarantee a kill. if it flies, well it generally lives

I have zero experience with hand guns and bows, in fact I would say I have no idea how to handle either but am both willing and excited to learn. I am also looking to get experience with any hunters in my area. I don’t have any firearms at the moment but even before I go near a rifle I would love to get some experience watching someone with local knowledge. In the UK we don’t have bears, snakes, bobcats to contend with. Our only concern is not shooting someone out walking their dog! I would love to watch and learn someone, I need that experience and would not feel comfortable hunting until I have done so.

I hope my intro was good enough. For info I am married, with a son of 18, I also have a Black Lab (She was my retriever in the UK) and an English Springer Spaniel (who was my flusher) I also used to hunt with Ferrets

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Welcome, Well youd be in luck as you can not hunt with a rifle in nj. The only exception is 25 caliber or less for the Fox n coyote special season. And ground hogs. Also dispatching trapped game with 22 short. So shot gun and muzzleloader add far as fire arms here in nj for deer bear and rabbits ect. Good luck and I'm sure someone on this fight that is closer to u will help. Also a bit of advice read the fish and game compendium.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Where in bergen county are you? Shoot me a PM

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hunting digest online NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - 2014-15 NJ Hunting and Trapping Digest
Rout 17 you have Ramsey Outdoors for supplies Ramsey Outdoor: Bringing you Columbia, Keen, Carhartt, Camelbak, Buck, Eureka, Sage, and more!

From Bergan County your best bet for public land going to be heading north west NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - Public Hunting Land in New Jersey

If you like small game you do have the option now for an air rifle.

Thanks for that info. Ca I get that hunting guide in print from anywhere? Regarding Air Rifles I love em. That's what got me into hunting. The thing with Air Rifles in the UK is that they are limited on power. So you had to get really close to get a clean kill. head shots only, really taught me a lot about stalking and just sitting still for long periods.

Can I hunt in PA with a rifle? What's the rules around that?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Lee, that was probably the best written and grammatically correct post I've ever seen on this site. I think the hardest thing you'll find about NJH is that most guys here have a pretty limited command of the English language [rofl] It'll take some time because there's a lot to learn, but the search function is your friend-lots of good info to be found here. Welcome.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Lee, that was probably the best written and grammatically correct post I've ever seen on this site. I think the hardest thing you'll find about NJH is that most guys here have a pretty limited command of the English language [rofl] It'll take some time because there's a lot to learn, but the search function is your friend-lots of good info to be found here. Welcome.
I forgot who it was, but someone said that the Americans and British are one people divided by a common language lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.