New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are newly wed and have owned our home for just under a year, and are now ready to welcome a new pup to the family. We are located in Hamburg, NJ and are looking for an 8-week old English Black Lab. We are looking at the first weekend of July to get the pup, so we are hoping to find breeders that are expecting a litter to be ready for that time and willing to take a deposit. LOOKING FOR ALL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR LOCAL BREEDERS AS WELL AS OTHERS IN NY/PA. Thanks in advance for any recommendations. -Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Swampbuck, ill give them a call today. Glad to hear about finding sheds, that's exactly my intension. Mahwah is an easy ride too, that would work out just fine, much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Thanks Swampbuck, ill give them a call today. Glad to hear about finding sheds, that's exactly my intension. Mahwah is an easy ride too, that would work out just fine, much appreciated!
No problem! I actually have a yellow coming in another two weeks from another breeder. That lab will also get shed training. I will be breaking that new dog in with my two year old as soon as all the snow is gone. looking forward to it!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Just to let everybody know and I don't want to get into any nauseating debate over it...

there is no such thing as a British, English, American, Canadian, Ugandan, Botswanan or any other country for that matter Labrador retriever...

The Labrador retriever is one breed that through "selective breeding " is now separated into two distinct lines.... They are Field and conformation(show).....

The UK Field bred labrador represent a lot of conformation physical characteristics but again through selective breeding also retain a lot of Good field qualities

The British/English lab is common marketing scheme if you will, it usually Just denotes that the dog is from show or conformation lines

both lines look very distinct... Conformation or show retrievers have stouter blockier heads shorter legs and more of an Otter like tail these dogs are bred more for their looks and competing in the show ring vs the "breed standard" it's a very convoluted argument as to why the breed standard has made them look so different

Field bred Labrador retrievers are bred for more for their abilities in the field rather then looks...abilities like, retrieving desire marking, prey drive and again through "selective breeding" these dogs tend to be taller sleeker and more athletic looking

The popularity of the Labrador retriever has led to this extreme variation within the breed... It is slightly confusing to understand unless you are involved in the retriever world in some respect(Hunt tests , Field trials,agility show)

just know that there is no recognized English or British breed of Labrador...for example the sire of my dog is a Canadian national field trial champion but that does not make my dog a "Canadian Labrador retriever"

The basic things you should be looking for when buying a Labrador puppy are health clearances and certifications(hips eyes joints) even better would be tests on certain genetic diseases prevalent in the breed and that the breeder is a responsible and legitimate breeder and not some backyard hack.... And of course if looking for a field bred hunting dog you want to see a pedigree that resembles such(hunt test field trial linage) all of the above put the odds in your favor of getting a healthy puppy who has the traits you're looking for....

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Just to let everybody know and I don't want to get into any nauseating debate over it...

there is no such thing as a British, English, American, Canadian, Ugandan, Botswanan or any other country for that matter Labrador retriever...

The Labrador retriever is one breed that through "selective breeding " is now separated into two distinct lines.... They are Field and conformation(show).....

The UK Field bred labrador represent a lot of conformation physical characteristics but again through selective breeding also retain a lot of Good field qualities

The British/English lab is common marketing scheme if you will, it usually Just denotes that the dog is from show or conformation lines

both lines look very distinct... Conformation or show retrievers have stouter blockier heads shorter legs and more of an Otter like tail these dogs are bred more for their looks and competing in the show ring vs the "breed standard" it's a very convoluted argument as to why the breed standard has made them look so different

Field bred Labrador retrievers are bred for more for their abilities in the field rather then looks...abilities like, retrieving desire marking, prey drive and again through "selective breeding" these dogs tend to be taller sleeker and more athletic looking

The popularity of the Labrador retriever has led to this extreme variation within the breed... It is slightly confusing to understand unless you are involved in the retriever world in some respect(Hunt tests , Field trials,agility show)

just know that there is no recognized English or British breed of Labrador...for example the sire of my dog is a Canadian national field trial champion but that does not make my dog a "Canadian Labrador retriever"

The basic things you should be looking for when buying a Labrador puppy are health clearances and certifications(hips eyes joints) even better would be tests on certain genetic diseases prevalent in the breed and that the breeder is a responsible and legitimate breeder and not some backyard hack.... And of course if looking for a field bred hunting dog you want to see a pedigree that resembles such(hunt test field trial linage) all of the above put the odds in your favor of getting a healthy puppy who has the traits you're looking for....
I don't know about all this but a friend of mine has a lab that he hunts with and it doesn't look anything like mine. Kind of like the same dog but to different size and stature.. Thanks for the explanation!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Deep Run Farm in Virginia. My puppy is 6 months old and is already finding sheds. He also went on three "walks" in the woods and found deer that had been shot. He is a great dog and I am very happy with him. He loves the kids to.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I'm glad it worked out Hawkkdog. I also have a lab from Deep Run in Virginia. She found her first shed at about 5 months, put up her first birds at 9 months and goes for walks in the woods for wounded deer walks for forum members every year.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I've run a lot of test a a few ft's with Jack Trish and Phyllis....

Trish Jagoda's kennel silverbrook produces some fine hunting retrievers and she's a fantastic pro....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I bought my chocolate lab in November from Cresthill in Va. Wendy is a great breeder, but I also have to give 2 thumbs up to Deep Run as well. Cant go wrong with either one. IMG_1395.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts