New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just joined the site a couple days ago, ive been tryin to find a kayak to fish out of, i was hoping to find a used one but have had no luck so ive been looking at new ones, the two ive been looking at are the ocean kayak scrambler xt angler ($549) and the wilderness tarpon 120 ($599), im lookin for somethin that would be ok to launch off the beach but still be comfortable enough to fish bays and lakes, im trying to keep it around $600, im also 6'2" and about 290lbs, any advice would be helpful especially if you know where i could look for used ones, ive tried craigslist and ebay

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i was lookin at them, little out of my price range though

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Call the guys at Kayakfishing.com. They are in Ledgewood, I think. They'll give you great advice even if you buy elsewhere. Make sure you buy something that handles your weight. Most 'yaks are rated for 250 - 300 Lbs if I remember correctly. I have a Wilderness "Magic 12" sit on top which if bought new is also out of your price range. It's a great fishing machine like NJHunter's new 'yak.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
No matter the kayak you pick, spend some money on a good paddle. Dont buy one of those $30-50 paddles that are very heavy. A good lightweight paddle and you will make your trips more enjoyable you will paddle further with less effort, in turn fish longer and catch more fish....IMO your paddle is more important then your boat.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The site you want in kayakfishingstuff.com ask for Craig tell him your size, where you want to fish and price range and he will hook you up with the best kayak for you.

They have everything in the Mine Hill store you could ever need for kayak fishing.

Good luck!

Danny V

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If i had the cash i would go for the new Hobie mirage pro angler.It looks sweet.Any ocean fishing yak will put you on the fish.Check criags list every day.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that hobie mirage is a nice boat but for that much money i could put my dad's 21 ft osprey with the 200hp yamaha in the water

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
goin to Dossils in middletown today to pick up a scrambler xt angler... thanks for the help

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
goin to Dossils in middletown today to pick up a scrambler xt angler... thanks for the help
Remember to buy a PFD and a whistle as the bare minimum required safety devices. You'll also want a good rod holder and a lanyard to keep the rod in the new 'yak! If you chase blues, you'll need either a Boga grip or a knock-off or the plastic lip grabbers that also work great. You don't want to lip-land one of those toothy critters[ko]

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I have heard of some place in Wharton or Mine Hill that is supposed to be good. Perhaps we are talking about the same place.

I live nearby, you'd think I would know what town it's in:)

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
The Hobies start at $1,500.
Bought thee Hobie Mirage Tandem a few years ago for the wife and I. pd 2100 -2200 Put a couple flush mount rod holders in it and presto instant fun. What wife wouldn't want to go relax and fish while getting a tan.[patcheye]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts