New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a partner our group to join me on a DIY Idaho Archery Elk Hunt. Bow Season is 8/31 to 9/30.

I am new to Elk Hunting, and will be learning as I go, but I have spent some time in the area of Idaho that I plan to hunt. To give you a general sense of cost, I have priced things out as follows:

Elk Tag/Licenses - $600
Airfare - $400
Car - $300
Gear & Provisions - TBD

In the way of very general background: I am 40, married, and have 2 kids.

Please let me know if you have any interest. Apologies if I posted this in the wrong place.

Kevin

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
Partners are for dancin...lol j/k. Sounds like a lot of fun hope you can find some folks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With or with-out guide. Public or private land.
I am open to ideas, but my thinking was to do a DIY (i.e. no guide) hunt on public land. I have also spoken to a drop camp guide who would take you us in on horseback, provide a camp and food, and pack out the animal for $2,200.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Have you looked into current Elk populations in the area you plan on hunting?
A friend of mine recently went on a Mt. Lion hunt in Idaho and the Wolves have really thinned the herds.

You should contact the DNR and ask some questions before deciding on any certain area...Jus Say'n

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Definitely check on the local wolf populations in the area(s) you are planning to hunt. The elk population has taken a big hit from wolf predation in some units. Also some of the most northern units have grizzlies to account for. No need to be overly concerned, just be prepared. I know of a reputable outfitter in northern Idaho that can set you up with a nice drop camp if you are up for it. Good luck with your adventure. PM me and I'll get you the info..

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Can't be said enough. Check on how bad the wolves are in your area. I hunted Idaho 5 years ago and wolves were a problem then. We had to go 12 miles in off the trail head to find elk. I did kill a nice bull, but we had horses, after spending a night in the mountains, and loading up the horses in the morning, had to walk the 12 miles out. Unless you are in excellent shape, I would not hunt elk without horses.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Have you considered the toll the wolf population has taken on the elk herd? Just kidding, I'm heading out in 2014 for my first elk hunt. Is there a lottery or is it OTC for the ID permit? Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Despite all of the warning about wolves, I have decided to move forward with the hunt. I have made a number of calls to the local DNR, shops, outfitters, etc. The information seems a bit mixed regarding the wolves. One DNR reps says that the hunters have done a good job of clearing them out over the last couple of years. One local archery shop owner said that I am likely to see some, and recommended also getting a wolf tag for $31). I am not really after a 6x6, and will take any Elk on which I can get a clean shot. In any case, the worst case scenario for me is that I spent $600 for an elk tag that I don't fill, and I get to spend 5 days hiking through some of the most spectacular country in the west.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If you are going to spend all that money (flights, tags, rental cars etc...), time and effort, I would spend more than 5 days out there. Tacking on an extra 3-5 days is not going to cost you much more and will give you a much better chance at getting an elk. It'll probably take a few days just to get the lay of the land and to get an idea of the areas and elevation the elk are using. Also, if you may consider talking to a few outfitters about them packing your elk out on horseback. It will save you a lot of effort and time. If you haven't already, start hitting the cardio machines at your local gym, it is tough hunting. I lost 15 pounds on a two week elk hunt in 2002 and that one was not that high in elevation, around 8,000 - 9,500. Most recent elk hunt was in the 10,000 - 11,500 elevation range and it was tough, especially when you throw a day pack and weapon into the equation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the thoughts Mike. I would love to add a few days to the trip. My challenge is being away from work for that long - priorities, priorities.... I will certainly add a few days if I am feeling like it will make the difference.

·
Registered
528 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts