New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one here know of a good outfitter I can check out for en Elk hunt next year? I've seen a few but just want other peoples input before I decide to book it...Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went with USO outfitters on 4 trips . 1 Gila (public ) 1 in Arizona(public ) and twice in New Mexico private ranch ( Floyd Lee) . The 2 years in Floyd Lee Bill Jordan was there as well as Jay Gregory and Brenda Valentine. I didn't kill but had opportunities for sure. My cousin killed on 2 of the 4 trips. I wanted something over 300 P&Y which maybe wasn't the greatest idea for my first bull. Had plenty of opportunities at one but guess the nerves took over and couldn't make it happen. I did hit 2 that I couldn't find and looked like great hits. Arrow buried behind shoulder to the fletching but they are tough if you don't give them enough time. I had gone back in 98 so its been a while. Look him up and pick his brain (George Taulman and Griz Montoya) tell him the 2 cousins from NY. They will remember we took them to see Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty...
Not sure him and Jordan have a relationship any more think they had some kind of failing out. Also get references with whoever you use and try to give them a call. We had talked to 2 different guys from NJ that used him prior to use going and they spoke the truth.
Good Luck let me know if I can answer any questions.... PM me and I'll give you my number if you want to chat.. I'm close by

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Check out Full Draw Outfitters at FullDraw Outfitters great place, food, Elk herd and most of all people. Tell them Will from Jersey sent you. Best of luck whith who ever you go with.

SS!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I was at full draw in September and they are truly great people who work very hard to put you on elk. However, they don't really care for Will, so tell Fred Eichler that Angel sent you.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know of an Outfitter in Montana...S&W Outfitters....They have pretty cheap pricing and a friend of mine from PA has used them twice and swears by them. That's one I am looking at for now

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Is Griz Montoya's real name is Rich,if so i shot skeet in nj with him years ago and at that time he told me he was done with nj and was going out west to guide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No not the same Griz ( real name is Lawrence). It was his first time this far east. He use to do the Harrisburg show so when they were here we met them and took them around town for a "guided city tour".
The first year I went I was in unit 16 in Gila and following week I had drawn Unit 9 in Arizona. Both were unbelievable units to draw . I hunted for a total of 2 weeks straight between both units. Bulls were on fire in 16 but couldn't get with bow range for a shot. When we went the following week to AZ bulls weren't bugling much so George gave us the option to take us back to Gila and hunt there. We chose to stick it out and stay hoping it would turn on.
Floyd Lee was very good for bow but agree would be done on first day if I was to use rifle. Almost all of Jordans past videos "Monster Bulls" were shot on the Floyd Lee with a bow. When we were their with him he didn't get one but Gregory did and it was a bull that we almost had a shot at 2 days prior over a watering hole.
When they would come back to camp we would see their recordings and problem was always either camera didn't have enough footage for TV or camera had very clear shot but hunter didn't.
My cousin took a very nice bull last night of hunt sitting on watering hole. I had a 325 bull 10 yards from blind over watering hole but his screams and my nerves got the best of me and I shot over his back. He ran 45 yards I had another shot and drilled him but maybe a tad low I was alone went looking quick before it got dark and I pushed him very far and couldn't find him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts