New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am going to try and squeeze a longbow onto my list of christmas toys, just curious what is a good longbow going for and how do you measure up for one. Is it the same as a Compound? What do I need to consider when finding the right bow for me.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I don't care what anyone saids.... Go to a good traditional bow shop... Stick & String ArcheryThey have a lot of new & used bows to try out... a long bow you will lose about 2" of draw.... My compound I draw 28" my long bow I draw 26"...... feel free to email me about any questions you have...mysticguido

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys another question, while doing some pre trial measurements for my (hopefully, if I am nice to Mrs. santa:D)Christmas longbow I discovered I am cross dominant..I am left eye right hand dominant. Does this mean to shoot at my best I should learn to shoot with my left hand..that was what I got out of the article. Has anyone had to do this? How difficult is it?

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Unlike a compound you;ll be shooting a longbow with both eyes open for better depth perseption as you won't have a peep or sight pins to line up. draw whieght is importent. drawing 65lbs on a compound is not like a trad bow, as once you reach full draw you will be holding 65lbs go for a draw whieght 10-20lbs lighter then your compound. I shoot a 55lbs @28" longbow and that is plenty I also have recurves that draw 45lbs @ 28" most first timers tend to over bow themselves the key is to find one you can draw and hold with comfort. good luck and happy shooting...:D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
FYI, I shoot a compound with peep with both eyes open, as many shooter do.

-dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts