New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy shot at his first buck last night about 20 minutes before sundown. We were in a ground blind and a big body 6 point read the playbook perfectly and wwas headed right to his scrape line. At 15 yards my buddy drew and let one fly. Complete pass through. I watched the shot very closly and it looked good, 2 inches behind right sholder, but it seemed a little low ( ~ 2 inches from bottom of chest). We waited till dark to retreive his arrow. It was covered in thick red blood. As we looked around were inpact was we found no blood. When he was hit, he mule kicked and ran ~30 yards and stopped for 5 minutes, looked around and then continued to walk slowly in the direction he was headed. We had a good look at him when he was stopped and saw blood (not a lot) dripping out of him. We waited at least 1 hour and went to where he stopped and found two pools of blood, one on each side of body but no blood trail leading to it or away from it. Given this, we backed out and decided we should wait till morning. Where do you guys think he was hit? I am thinking he may have clipped lowest lobe of liver. I am at a loss because the arrow was covered and the blood was decent where he had stopped, but the way he reacted after the hit was like nothing happened. Thoughts??? Hope we can retrive my buddy's first buck and first deer this morning.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Best of luck finding him... Sounds like he will live to chase another day tho.

2" from the bottom of the deer might just be a briskit shot.... With that you will probably get 100 yards of blood trail with nothing at the end of it.

Let's hope the shot was a tad higher than you seen..
Good luck!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would there be two pools of blood on each side of deer where he stopped for a few minutes if it was just a flesh shot?

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
2" from the bottom is at the spot that could be good or bad. Theres a fine line there. If it was a little father back than you thought it may be good and the guts could be blocking the hole and you will get him in the morning. Good luck

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Dark red blood that means he was dead in 1 hour tops . You buddy hit him a little father back then you think in the liver. Liver blood trails are always spotty with blood . If you hit him in the brisket the blood would be very bright red with fat in it. He was dead last night

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no fat in the blood or on arrow...however i am worried he hit him in the brisket and maybe nicked the liver...hence the low blood trail yet dark blood on arrow...

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Take a look at jack Harris post. I just bumped it up.

Gives a good perspective on placement.

If you saw the arrow correctly I still say heart. Look how low the heart sits.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
deer.png

the yellow dot is where i think it hit...may be a little higher but in the immediate area....what do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts