New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Taken on Youth Day, Saturday the 19th. He’s 12 yrs. old and I’m a very proud dad. He passed on a 10” spike at 7am. 20 Minutes later this 8 Pt. was with a 4pt feeding in the funnel we were in. It was a 40yd shot. 20ga. Slug. It was a high hit but dropped the deer in it’s tracks. Hit both lungs and part of Vertibrae. As a 10 yr old between my work and he being sick with a bad cold we could not get out all that much. Last year, he passed on three bucks all small waiting for a better deer and a lot of antlerless got passes too. His doing not mine. He has been by my side several times when I have harvested deer. He was 4 yrs old when we shot our 1st deer together.

He has being doing very well in school so his mom and I decided he could skip school yesterday to hunt anterless deer with me. I hunted with my flintlock and he, ol blue his new 12 ga. We had a great day together and saw a bunch of deer. He had a couple of opportunities to take a deer. But declined to. At dusk we had two youth deer walk by about 15 yards. Once they past I asked why he didn’t shoot. He said “ Didn’t feel right” I smiled all the way home. The kid is getting it…..

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
CONGRATS !!!!! A proud father you should be..... Your teaching him right, just by that story you must have the upmost hunting ethics, Also dont let me forget, congrats to you also, for teaching him the resect of the sport. "JOB WELL DONE"[up][up][up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Awesome Fletch! Simply Awesome!

He really is getting it, and its no surprise to me with a father like you showing him the way!

CONGRATS TO BOTH OF YOU!!!!!![up][up][up][up]

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Great story!!! Thanks for sharing that with us [up] You are a very lucky man :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks Guys

While I was field dressing the deer, he was standing next to me and we both heard a twig snap. I saw his eyes bugle a bit and he whispered "Buck". 8 deer, 5 bucks came trotting right under our stand. Something spooked them. The one deer was 120 cl [no swearing please] buck. I said "Charlie did you see that one buck? That was a good one" His answer "I think mine is better Dad" and I smiled and replied "Your right Pal, absolutely right, yours is better". We saw a total of 13 deer and 8 being bucks. An awesome day.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Great job!

Beautiful Buck!

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Nicely done. He obviously had a good teacher. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts