New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone..My boyfriend and I just moved down here from Sussex County and we have been looking for spots to hunt and maybe meet some people in the area who know it a bit better than we do. We checked out B [no swearing please] River, which seemed ok, but I would like to pheasant hunt this year and I am not sure if there are any down here!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Carla .I dont know about pheasant hunting up your way,but down in Atlantic County in Port Republic WMA there is pheasant hunting. I think they stock it every other week. The crowds are big, I know because they drove me out when I was trying to bow hunt last year...lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow..I guess I am just better off heading back up to Sussex on Fridays so I can at least get out on Saturdays.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Carla, First off Hello & welcome..... Stafford forge is a good deer spot also in the pines called " 5 points". If you like to fish.... Goto the end of osbourne Island, good fishing in the bay. I can't remember where any bird hunting is down there, sorry.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Stafford forge
Carla, check the game laws. I think they stock this WMA. Although I may be thinking of some place else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys..I want to drive around this week looking for some spots..I will check Stafford Forge out! I do fish..but I am not ready for deer yet. I need a new gun. I have an old 16 gage now, but I have been looking for a 12.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey carla, welcome! Well I don't know how much help I will be since I am releatively new to the state but since I will be doing a lot of looking also if I find anything I will be sure to fill you guys in. Good luck

·
Registered
201 Posts
I forgot to mention, I don't live too far from you two ( egg harbor city, near Blue Heron Pines) if you two need anything and I can help just let me know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
GREENWOOD FOREST WMA
The Greenwood Forest WMA is nestled in the scrub pine and forest of Ocean County, north of the intersection of secondary Route 539 and state Route 72. The 28,172 acres of Greenwood Forest are made up of pitch pine, scrub oak and white cedar swamp, sprinkled with some open fields and dirt roads, and is a lowland hunters delight.

Approximately 1,000 acres are managed specifically as quail habitat, and these are divided into 50 5-acre areas with hedgerows separating them. Birds are released specifically within these 1,000 acres, and to ensure the stability of the habitat for the birds, no vehicles are permitted in these areas.

This one looks a little further away
PEASLEE WMA
The Peaslee WMA is about seven miles east of Millville, with its eastern border being the Tuckahoe River. One of the state's largest WMAs (22,033 acres), its land was purchased in October 1954 with money from hunting and fishing license fees. The WMA provides 150 acres (20 fields) that are managed for quail hunting.
In addition to the 5,500 birds that are stocked at Peaslee, there is also a limited amount of natural quail reproduction. Peaslee's lowland terrain of scrub pine and brush are excellent for working dogs. The quail management area, which has been planted with the bobwhite's favorite browse, is located almost directly in the center of the WMA.

You can get more info on
http://www.midatlanticgameandfish.com/
Hope this helps you out and happy hunting

·
Registered
340 Posts
Carla, Hawkeye. Welcome Ive been in the area all my life,but hunting is new to me. If i can be of any help to either of you about places in the area I will be glad to help.Im always on line her a New Jersey Hunter.com I live local too in Galloway TWP.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ahhhhhh crap... well I did not do so well...started reading about quail hunting and somehow confused myself, started thinking you two wanted to hunt quail not pheasant! lol:p Oh well still some good info on quail hunting on the site. sorry 'bout that

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot guys! I am totally new to hunting also, I am really excited and am definitely interested in quail also! Hopefully I can get out and check some spots..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts